Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 19, 2024, 11:36:27 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Drawing circles

Started by Allan, March 28, 2014, 12:43:29 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Allan

What does everyone use to draw a large circle or radius?
I use a stick with a pencil in one end and a screw in the other end
Not ideal for adjustments

What does everyone else use?

Allan

SteveA

You could substitute a string for the stick - wind and unwind for adjustments
SA

Allan

Steve
I tried the string but keeping the pencil vertical on a large radius makes for inaccuracy

Allan

MinUph

I also use the string.keep the string close to the tip of the pencil or chalk it helps.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Darren Henry

Lee Valley carry a two piece "compass" that fits on a standard wooden yard stick. The one end has a needle on it and the other a pencil holder. You stand the yard stick on edge and then slip the two pieces into place and tighten them down.I've got to get off to work,but will try to find a pic for you.In the mean time you might try there website.

I also just use string,and Paul is right about keeping the string low---makes a big difference.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

bobbin

Good question!  I use a point and then whatever measuring stick meets the criteria for size.  I could never quite master the vertical pencil and string method, either.  

When I was a kid every teacher had a large, wooden compass that held a piece of chalk so they could draw on the blackboard.  I have looked and looked for something similar to no avail!  I'd like to have a compass for use on my floor cloths.  

byhammerandhand

March 28, 2014, 05:16:15 am #6 Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 07:28:22 am by byhammerandhand
Ha!   I wrote an article on this over at Carr's Corner a few years ago.  There are lots of ways to do this.
http://cincinnatiwoodworkingclub.org/Portals/0/activeforums_Attach/Drawing_Circles_by_Keith_Mealy.pdf

It really depends upon what "large" is.    The last few arcs I've needed were about 60" radius.   I used trammel points.  But on one end of the stick, I drilled a hole large enough for a pencil and another in from the end of the piece where I added a 1/4" threaded insert so I could tighten the pencil in place.

The string-and-pencil method is not a very good one.   It relies on the string not stretching and the pencil being held at a constant angle.  If you have a non-stretching string, you could do it like you would an ellipse with a loop and not just tying the string at either end to the pencil and pivot point.

Some people use a fairing curve AKA drawing bows to draw arcs.   These are pieces of material that are stretched into a curve by either pulling the ends or fastening the ends and the middle in position.  I'm not sure that gives a true circle, it may be a parabola or even a catenary.  You need to be careful not to distort when you press your pencil against it. It also relies on homogeneous material to make your board.

I'm on my way out on an errand right now, but reply with what you need and I may have some other methods.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

Mike

The o ly time i need a acuate curve is when i making smiley zippers in vinyl voat windows. Ive used the pencil string when i dont have a bucket the right shPe to trace. I trace it on cardboard and make. Template fot all the windows to be the same

sofadoc

If I need a 14" diameter circle, I take a yardstick, and poke a hole at 7". Stick a T-pin through the hole, and spin the yardstick around while holding my marker against the end. For large circles, I fold the fabric in half, and calculate accordingly.

I just have to lay a piece of wood underneath the fabric, so the T-pin doesn't damage my cutting table. If it's vinyl (or something that I can't use a T-pin on), I make a template first using the above method, and then trace around the template.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Darren Henry

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=32628&cat=1,42936,42938

These are the gadgets I was talking about. They are slick.

QuoteI make a template first using the above method,

I use string mostly, but I have made a set of templates for the sizes I require most. I usually only make a half pattern (semi-circle) so they don't take as much room and 50% less chance of error LOL. I've learned to label them and to write down the circumference  ;)
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

mike802

I bought some of those gadgets Darren is talking about, they did not fit on my yardstick.  So I ended up making my own compass not that difficult really.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power" - Abraham Lincoln
http://www.mjamsdenfurniture.com

MinUph

Yes Darren mentioned templates. I do the same for small circles. 4-18" or so. Punch a hole where the compass point was and hang them on the wall. We do also have a wooden compass that is good to maybe a 30" radius or. Larger circles I go with the pencil and string.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

byhammerandhand

March 31, 2014, 05:06:12 am #12 Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 05:06:49 am by byhammerandhand
This came across my screen yesterday, courtesy of "The Family Handyman" magazine:

DIY Tip of the Day: Drawing Large Circles. Use big paint stirrers to make a compass for large circles. Drill a 1/16-in. dia. hole at the bottom of one stick, then tap in a 6d nail. Snip off the head at an angle for a pivot point. On the other stick, attach a binder clip to hold a pencil. Join the sticks with a machine screw, lock washer and Wing-Nut. Place a toothed lock washer between the sticks for a tight grip.

Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison