Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 02, 2024, 07:02:26 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Quiet compressor

Started by jameslee, June 09, 2015, 01:21:54 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jameslee

June 09, 2015, 01:21:54 am Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 02:10:10 am by jameslee
Hello,

My father and I will be doing upholstery work from home, and we would like to get a compressor that is as quiet as possible to spare the neighbors and our ears.

This video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUjTE3_IKwA suggests that belt driven is the way to go; I assume the bambi one is not suitable for upholstery work (it would be nice to have something so quiet!)

I also came accross this: http://www.homedepot.ca/product/portable-air-compressor-ultra-quiet-oil-free-steel-tank-63-gal/998791
And this: http://www.homedepot.ca/product/4610-10-hp-46-gal-ultra-quiet-oil-free-steel-twin-tank-air-compressor/998792

Would these 2 California air compressors provide enough air for upholstery; and can the first one with one air coupler be used with two guns (newbie question).

I would also appreciate any suggestions as to the quietest compressors that you have come across. And is there such a thing as a quiet stapler?

Thank you!

James

SteveA

What I can tell you is that it's better to oversize a bit so other tools can be used as well or multiple tools at the same time.  There is no really quiet compressor.  Buy quality and it will last.  Make sure it has standards by the National Electrical Manufacturers - ck continuous duty horsepower - size of tank - 60 gallon is nice - 2 stage pistons - and a magnetic starter switch  - 220 volt - and you're good for 25 years -
SA

gene

Search this forum for "air compressor". You'll find a lot of info on the topic.

One thing you haven't thought about in regards to your neighbors is the sound of the pneumatic staple gun. I've started wearing ear protection when I use my pneumatic staple gun and I can feel the difference in my ears.

The sound of the pneumatic staple gun is not especially loud, like a gun shot, but it is loud and constant. I have a studio in an industrial business complex and folks all over the place, even across the street, have told me that they can hear my staple gun going all day long.

Depending on your neighbors and their proximity, the staple gun sound going off constantly may be more of an irritation than an occasional compressor kicking on.

Best of luck with your new company.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

sofadoc

One of these forums suggested a compressor that had a decibel level less than twice that of a refrigerator. I think it was something like 19db for a fridge, 31db for the compressor.

I don't remember the brand, but it was quite a bit more expensive than your basic Home Depot offerings.

I've found the beltless ones to be almost twice as loud as the belt driven models.

A couple of suggestions. Get one with a large capacity tank, so it will cycle on less during the work day. I had a 60 gallon compressor that only came on 2 times during a normal day of stapling. Keep all the fittings tight, so the tank doesn't bleed down and cycle on needlessly. Replace couplings as necessary. If you buy your fittings from Home Depot, you're going to be replacing them often. Farm supply stores usually have better quality couplings.

If you have a secluded closet or basement, or storage shed, or any fairly soundproof place out of earshot, you could place it there and run a long hose to your work area.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

kodydog

June 09, 2015, 06:16:10 am #4 Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 06:19:41 am by kodydog
Agree 100% with all these guys.^^ If the air compressor is inside the neighbors will barely notice. You can build a sound proof box around it to dampen the noise.

To make extra income my wife and I have bought many properties over the years. We live in them 5 or 6 years, fix them up and move on to the next. One huge consideration when house hunting is location. Its hard to find a good neighborhood that will allow us to have a business at home. Especially an upholstery business and the reputation that goes with it. We look for neighborhoods with large lots. And we fly under the radar, keep a low profile and pray that no one complains. 30 years and so far no one has. The staple gun noise is our biggest concern. So we work with the windows and garage door down. We glue Styrofoam to the garage door to help insulate and dampen the noise. We also keep it super tidy outside. No old sofa frames or rusting cars. And we pick up and deliver so not much traffic coming and going.

We also give neighbors a discount and this seems to keep them happy.

Good luck with your new venture. Have you been doing upholstery long and what type do you do?
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

baileyuph

June 09, 2015, 06:35:38 am #5 Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 05:01:19 pm by DB
Have you checked with your home insurance about doing this business in the home?

There can be ramifications, but they can clarify.

Doyle

sofadoc

The comments about the neighbors reminded me of when I first moved to my current location.

It is a 3000 sq. ft. brick building in the downtown retail district. When I first moved here in '98, there was a mom & pop office supply store next door.

With a double brick wall between us, I never thought much about the noise that my stapler/compressor was making.

The mom & pop store eventually was squeezed out of business by the big chain office supply stores, so they closed a few years ago.

The girl who used to be their secretary told me later that the owners were too nice to complain about the noise. But she said that it was mildly annoying.

As for residential neighbors, Darren is right. An upholsterer is sometimes about as welcomed in a neighborhood as a sheep herder in cattle country was back in the 1800's.

I once bought a used sewing machine on CL. Instead of taking it to my shop downtown, I unloaded it in my garage at home just for the weekend. When the garage door was up, it could be seen from the street. Bright and early Monday morning, there was a city code enforcement officer knocking on my door.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

byhammerandhand

June 09, 2015, 11:46:55 am #7 Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 11:58:14 am by byhammerandhand
What Gene forgot to say was there is a gun range at the end of his lane and he's 2-300 yards from I-75's traffic and an exit.  I think the staple gun is just another noise.

You can build a sound-insulating box to enclose the compressor.   Insulation is important or you just get a sound board, amplifying the sound.    It's also important to isolate the unit from the floor.   Some people use hockey pucks for this.

My sister-in-law was dean of a school of music when they build a new building.   For the rehearsal / practice rooms, they made concrete block walls and filled them with sand to absorb the sounds.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

brmax

That's pretty quiet, its amazing compared to other non oil types. They must have a superb valve system as they also run a low rpm which seems to be a key usually.
You might be interested in the same from amazon at quite a bit cheaper, though I did not look at shipping options even though HD has free shipping on many items I get there.
good idea on fittings, as I myself don't recall laying the hose down often in the shop though its ?/ possible to learn a new trick.

Good day there

jameslee

June 11, 2015, 01:09:37 am #9 Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 01:17:05 am by jameslee
Thank you for your comments, well-wishes and suggestions.

Interestingly, I emailed Bostitch and Grex and asked about their staplers and the decibel ratings on them;

Emission sound pressure level at the workstation:
[BeA 71/16-421: sL pA, 1s, d= 79dB]  [Bostitch 21671B: 64.40dB]

Single-shot emission sound pressure level:
[BeA 71/16-421:  L WA, 1 s, d= 87dB] [Bostitch 21671B: 74.00dB]

The Grex 71ad is rated at 80dB at 1ft, but I asked for a rating relative to the other staplers.

The Bostitch has an adjustable psi toggle, maybe that plays into its lower sound output.

"Have you checked with your home insurance about doing this business in the home?
There can be ramifications, but they can clarify."

We haven't yet, we just recently got the business license and started making contact with suppliers. This advice sounds good to me, thank you.

"Have you been doing upholstery long and what type do you do?"

My father is the upholsterer, he started back in the mid 70's in Toronto. He can do just about everything from reupholstery, to custom built sofas, to restaurant booths. He is very good at tufting, and at difficult jobs in general.

I am going to follow him around as he does sales, until I can do sales on my own, so he can focus on upholstery. During summer breaks, I hope he will teach me a bit; my mom convinced him to! I've heard how difficult it is to get into the trade; one gentleman who worked with my father said that the other shop had him do stripping work for three years, and never taught him a thing about upholstery (other than stripping).

SteveA

Don't believe your Dad didn't learn anything for 3 years.  You learn this trade at the bench - sales come later.
SA

Darren Henry

I  agree with Steve. tearing something apart teaches you how it went together [unless you're just mindlessly pulling staples] and gives a sense of the labour involved in building /putting it back together. Until you have at least a basic understanding from there you are ill-prepared to do sales.

Are you still in the GTA?
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

jameslee

No we are in Vancouver now. :D Less snow.

Darren Henry

I'm in Brandon Man. wink. I could send you some.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!