Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 04, 2024, 12:33:36 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Pictures of Husker Boat/Woodpecker in our Front Yard

Started by Virgs Sew n Sew, August 02, 2015, 02:48:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Virgs Sew n Sew

I was beyond thrilled when Chad & Sonya called to say they were driving in from Hastings this afternoon with their boat in tow.  We had the seats in our garage and I was having nightmares of someone breaking in and stealing them : (   Hurried up and put the snaps on the dog house and finalized their ticket.

First, we had a woodpecker in our front yard and I got a picture of it.  Had never seen one before in my life.  Bob looked it up on the internet (forget what the name of it is).  Like two or three nights later I saw one in the park while walking Joe.  Different markings so not the same species.  Here is the woodpecker:

Here is the exterior of Chad's boat:

The two small seats and backs:

Back to back backs:

Last but not least, the starboard and portside back to back fronts (those were hard, next to impossible, to get good shots of--so it goes):

They were both thrilled when the seats were in the boat.  Chad had obviously been enjoying his Sunday already.  I'm sure that he was christening the boat in his driveway ; )

Glad the project is done and thrilled that they are as happy as they are.  Gave Chad a huge wad of business cards as he said some people have already been drooling over it.  Hope to be busy doing other specialty boats this coming winter.

Virginia

kodydog

Virginia your work is outstanding. It is no wonder Chad is thrilled.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

Mike

agreed nice work did you do or have the embroidery done

SteveA

Quality work is just pleasing to look at - especially when it carries with it a thumbs up by your contemporaries. 
What kind of wear + life for the covering and foam is expected from the manufacturer ?
SA

sofadoc

Really nice work. Now here I go again high jacking another thread.

Speaking of embroidery, I have a chance to buy a free-hand embroidery machine like this one (Juki LZ 271):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9a-uWpInC8A

My daughter would like to have one to tinker with. But she thinks this free-hand model might be too difficult for her. What do you think? The lady only wants $200 for it.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Virgs Sew n Sew

August 03, 2015, 07:34:29 am #5 Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 07:38:11 am by Virgs Sew n Sew
Oops, I didn't get portside posted correctly : embarrassed :  Will try again:

Mike, I did not do the embroidery.  Chad drove to Lincoln to the Husker store and picked out the seven patches you see here.  I used temp adhesive so that they wouldn't move around while stitching them down.

Steve, the foam I used is the original seat foam.  None of the seats had any rips or tears in them.  No funky smells or water damage to the foam near as I could tell, so I saw no reason to gouge him for new foam.  The vinyl is Enduratex.  I've used on several boats, car seats and motorcycle seats; as well as a couple of restaurants, and all customers have been pleased with it.  Cold crack is -10 F.   Abrasion resistance is just a Pass/Fail deal with it passing.  Usually vinyl will tell you number of butt rubs, like 400K or the like, but this brand doesn't.

Sofadoc, I expect nothing less than you hijacking a thread.  I used to be a pro at that.  I'll have to work hard at getting back into my thread hijack mode ; )

Happy days are here again.  I got home from my walk to discover the fence people are putting up the fence sections this morning.  We've had posts in place for 3 weeks now.  Joe was SOOOOO excited.  They had half of the old fence down and a couple of the new sections installed.  No doubt in my mind that he has figured out how big his running room is going to be now.  He's been fired up ever since I got back with Jim.

Gotta try and get something done besides watching the fence go up.

Virginia   

Darren Henry

WOW!!!! Dead solid perfect. Now we just need to convince the business side of your brain to charge for the artist side's talent and dedication to detail.

I can't identify the wood pecker from that photo---but it does look like the Downy's woodpecker that is most common around here.

I'm sure Joe is excited about the new fence. The bigger question is ----How is Bob? It sounded like this and the sprinklers had him stressed the other week LOL.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Virgs Sew n Sew

Quote from: Darren Henry on August 03, 2015, 08:03:45 am
WOW!!!! Dead solid perfect. Now we just need to convince the business side of your brain to charge for the artist side's talent and dedication to detail.

I can't identify the wood pecker from that photo---but it does look like the Downy's woodpecker that is most common around here.

I'm sure Joe is excited about the new fence. The bigger question is ----How is Bob? It sounded like this and the sprinklers had him stressed the other week LOL.

Thanks for your praise Darren.  After reading the replies on this thread, as well as talking to Chad & Sonja yesterday, my head is about 3 times its normal size! ; )

We are down to the last panel & the accompanying gate and the fence is installed.  We took the boys out, on leads of course, right before lunch and let them explore a bit.  Neither one would do any business but even old man Jim seemed pretty excited.  Joe could not contain himself, leaping as high as he could in the air.  That dude is truly crazy!

Bob's handling things much better.  Once we had workers show up, he was fine.  After 6 years active army and 26+ working as a civilian for the army, you would think he would be used to "hurry up and wait" but not so much.  I think he was more excited than I was to see the truck arrive with the fence sections on it.  Next week we have the new floor installed in the living room and dining room.  Then we need to see about replacing both front doors and then it will be time to get serious about designing the layout of my combination changing room/laundry room/bathroom off Sew & Sew in the basement.  That is what I am excited for!

Need to get going.  Just had an embroidery customer leave after blessing his logo.  9 shirts to embroider.  Those are customers I like because shirts always have to be replaced.

Virginia

cajunpedaler

Definitely not a Downy woodpecker.  They are the miniature version of woodpeckers.  The are speckly coloration like that tho.  Looks more like a Flicker.  (why they aren't called woodpeckers, I don't know)  Different colorations may be juveniles, or male/females.
Birding is a hobby of mine.  I'm no expert, but very enthusiastic...
If at first you don't succeed, redefine success. If at first you fail, redefine failure.