Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 21, 2024, 02:59:37 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

When "Going Green" was called "Common Sense"

Started by Rich, July 20, 2011, 05:07:07 am

Previous topic - Next topic

vinyldoctorlv

sort of adds a whole new meaning to the term,
guess who we are having for dinner.

jojo

The plastic produce bag thing drives me nuts. Every time I shop, I see this: people are putting a bunch of bananas in a bag. I want to say, "Why? Are you going to eat the skin??" Also, if I'm only buying one of a particular item, like one onion and one avacado, they don't need a bag either.
Then when you get to the checkout there's always some a-hole telling the cashier to put everything in its own bag, and don't forget to triple bag everything too. I always tell them to fill every bag to the top, and if it has a handle it doesn't need a bag.
Rant over.

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

Cool thought provoking thread. 

Young people like to think they are impoving on what people who came before them did, but after reading this I can see they are only building off of what they did.

bobbin

Here's a funny from my late mother:  when I was in HS she was already washing and reusing plastic bags.  She would use a clothespin to afix them to the evergreen in the front yard where the sun and breeze dried them quickly.  It was always a joke in the family. 

One day, 2 friends pulled into the driveway and stared at the festooned tree and began teasing Mum about washing plastic bags, reminding her that for 69 cents you could buy a cheap box of them and just throw them away.  I was, of course, mortified as only a 17 yr. can be when a parent's idiosyncrasy is exposed.  To my amazement, my mother who very rarely swore replied thusly:

"One a damn fool pays 69 cents for something they give away for free in the produce department, or fails to recognize the savings contained the reuse of a bread bag."

8)

Rich

Quote"One a damn fool pays 69 cents for something they give away for free in the produce department, or fails to recognize the savings contained the reuse of a bread bag."

I forgot that one, my wife saves the bread bags to put my lunch into when I have to go out to do a job. Our daughters have a good laugh. (But maybe some day the laugh will be on them if the lesson takes root as it many times does) ;D
Rich
Everything's getting so expensive these days, doesn't anything ever stay at the same price? Well the price for reupholstery hasn't changed much in years!

Mike8560

I remember many days as a kid in ca walking with my mom ( whio did drive )many miles to go downtown.
Great memories when we stop to cool off and have a malt at the corner. Icecrea
spot.