Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 18, 2024, 06:22:05 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

furniture upholsterers - what do you think

Started by gene, August 30, 2013, 07:21:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

gene

August 30, 2013, 07:21:09 pm Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 07:30:26 pm by gene
15 hours.

The back unbolts. The spring section unbolts from the sides and bottom framing. So, three separate pieces style of recliner.

Am I doing OK? Am I slowing down before I ever get started? Is my age telling me I can but my body is telling me "What the hell do you think you're doing?!?"

Carrscorner has a labor chart that says club chairs and wing back chairs from 8 to 14 hours.

I'm proud of my work, but I'm concerned about the 15 hours. Should I not worry about or pour the piss out of my boots and start kicking ash?

A separate quesion: Does anyone reupholster standard style club chairs and wing back chairs on an average of one per day? That would be 8 to9 hours.

http://i830.photobucket.com/albums/zz228/genejoe/DSCF2843_zps4b1b436c.jpg

http://i830.photobucket.com/albums/zz228/genejoe/DSCF2842_zps0d9591e0.jpg

Thanks for your thoughts.

gene

PS: I can't get thumbs on this post from photobucket or else I would have.

PPS: And sorry about the messy studio. I had one too many jobs to finish before this week end.

PPPS: That pile of fabric - blue and horsey pattern, is curtains that I hang up to block off the back rooms of my studio when I only want to run AC in the front part.
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

MinUph

Chair looks good. Some of them go quick and some just don't. Seems like an 8 hour chair but that depends on the mood and fabric. Strip 1 hr. cut sew 3-4 hours, Upholster another 3. Knock downs are generally easier. I've done some simple chairs that have taken 2 3 times normal. No explanation it just happens sometimes.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

baileyuph

Gene your are asking if I can do the wing back recliner in 15 hours?

It is possible, but as anything there are variables, such as extra work discovered after getting into the project is one issue.

Another is custom work is not factory assembly work, the best way to make the point is they do not tear anything down.  Their system, as you and we all know, is specialized assembly.  I emphasize this phase of the work as one that can be variable and a lot of work - tear down.  Tear down (or stripping if one prefers) can take considerable time, especialy to perfectionists who don't normally cut corners.

Is this the kind of support you are asking for and can we meet the Carr estimates?

Doyle
BTW, did you read where FBrands top guy is stepping down?  

sofadoc

I've done many of that type in less than a day out of a plain fabric (no pattern to match). You did a nice job matching the pattern on that one. I think that you can justify taking a lot longer. As long as you're happy with what you charged for your time, I wouldn't worry about it. I couldn't say for sure how long that one would take me. I stopped counting the minutes many moons ago.

Next time........clean up that craphole before you invite us into your virtual studio. I abhor even the slightest speck of dust in MY pristine environment.

"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Lo

Nicely done and great match with that pattern ... in ONLY 15 hours!
I am with Dennis ... tracking time is not my thing either ... no comment on his 'pristine' environment though  :D Seems I have a picture somewhere of his shop ... definitely white glove spotless  ;)

Cheers- Marlo

Mojo

I looked at that picture of Gene's shop and went running for my . OCD overload. :)

Chris

gene

August 31, 2013, 10:13:52 am #6 Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 10:15:26 am by gene
Thanks for the comments.

It took me 2 hours to take the old fabric off. I did take pictures to make sure I could get everything back to where it should go.

I quoted it based on fewer hours and I was surprised that it took 15. I thought there might be something unique about these types of chairs. It sounds like I could charge for 15 hours the next time and come in a few hours less.

It is good to know that sometimes things just take longer and it's difficult to know why.

carrscorner.com click on How-to Menu, then click on Labor Chart.

Furniture Brands: Yes, rats do tend to jump off a sinking ship. I also have been reading about the layers lining up to sue seeking class action status. Just like always, a few rich people will get a lot of money (lawyers, etc.), stock holders will get screwed, but they were responsible for buying the stock, and it's the workers who will get left behind with nothing.

OCD: Have you heard about CDO? It's just like OCD but the letters are in the correct order. I think I shared this before but I'm sharing it even better this time.

Did you notice the shop vac tube in the bottom right. Yes, I vacuum several times throughout each project.

That cornice board is paid for but there's a problem with the Int. Designer and the homeowner so it has been sitting there for a few months now. Yes, I am grateful that it is paid for. And I do get compliments on it from other customers so it's so of like advertising.

Thanks again,

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!