Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 15, 2024, 03:08:50 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

JoAnn's Store today

Started by baileyuph, March 27, 2015, 05:54:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

baileyuph

Picked up a neck roll cushion to be covered today from JoAnn's and, by golly, the store didn't look like I expected.  I expected more upholstery supplies and fabrics than they had but they handle so many different things, even the lower level sewing and embroidery machines. 

Of course I reviewed their upholstery fabrics, fabric cost, and all and learned their everyday prices are somewhere between my wholesale and retail but everything seemed to be on sale all the time.  So, in that perspective, their number of stores enables them to buy at distributor or better prices. 

They even had $60 priced upholstery fabrics but since it is on sale everyday it can be bought some where near wholsale (plus or minus) near $40.  Then the bigger sales can bring that price down.

They are a big competitor to the custom shops like ours on a lot of their materials, which explains why they sell so much COM.

It had been a very long time since I frequented one of the stores. 

Doyle

byhammerandhand

I don't shop there much but what frosts my wife is she'll go in with a 40% off coupon and pick up a $10 item.   Unfortunately the $10 item is on sale for $9, so the coupon is not good.  Pays $9 and not $6.    A lot of places will give you the better price, but no JoAnn's.   Likewise, 50% all "notions," and she picks up a pair of thread snippers.   "Oh, those are on the scissors wall, not on the notions aisle."  => no discount.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

gene

March 28, 2015, 07:57:20 am #2 Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 08:00:00 am by gene
I read Doyle's post and was going to post exactly what Keith said about his wife. It's always hit or miss as to whether something is on sale. Those 40% off coupons do look good though.

Also, as you probably noticed Doyle, their pillow inserts are quite skimpy. I tell folks that if I am making an 18" x 18" pillow cover, then buy a 20" x 20" insert.

The JoAnns near me started using paper numbers at their cutting table. You take a number to determine who is next. I went in one day and took a number, went back to get the bolt of black out lining. They were out. As I was walking past the cutting table to leave the store, a lady rudely informed another lady that she had a lower number than her and it was her turn to be waited on. There was that awkward moment of silence. I then gave my number to the lady who had been rudely treated and said the number out loud for everyone to hear. It was the number one below the number of the lady who had acted so rude.  :) Karma? I left so I don't know how it played out.

gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

Mojo

The wife and I were in Hobby Lobby the other day and they had a fabric section. I had no idea they sold fabric. basically the same fab as Joann's but at a cheaper price.

Chris

RICK61

Overall, how would you rate their fabric compared to the fabric ordered from a supplier?  Just starting and practicing and I had been wondering about this.

Thanks