Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 13, 2024, 07:49:11 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Bosh hand held foam cutter - noisy and runs warmer

Started by baileyuph, June 27, 2015, 05:24:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

baileyuph

My Bosh has been a very good one, thinking about buying another just like it.

Before, has anyone rebuilt one of these with satisfaction?

I suspect new brushes and bushings then add a new blade would be minimum requirements.

This is the hand held scroll type, typical tool for small shop.

Current price?   Suspect pushing $300?

Any experience with replacing/rebuilding one of these?

Where would you buy a replacement if that is the direction taken?

Doyle

MinUph

Doyle,
  I paid more than 300 for a used on a couple three years ago. They are sold as the machine and blades sold separately. The brushes should be a bad thing to replace. I tried changing the power cord on a bosch foam saw before and that was a challenge. The way the wiring channels are tuff to get the wires through. Blade changes are easy. I would try the brushes first if it runs hot.
If you want replace the saw best bet would be to search for them on Google. You will find them in many places. Pricing will sit you down if you're not already LOL. Good luck.
  BTW my used one runs great. I found it on ebay.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

sofadoc

A set of brushes for the Bosch 1575A foam cutter can be found here (under $7):
http://www.toolpartsdirect.com/bosch-1575a-139-foam-rubber-cutter-060-1575-139.html?gclid=Cj0KEQjwk7msBRCJj67khY2z_NIBEiQAPTFjv3BzZx5vA_99hMU_Z9apCxDQXM8D0wzim4oW01kJh3caAm028P8HAQ&ad=57609493943

Keep an eye on E-bay for used Bosch cutters. They normally sell for an almost new price, but every now and then, one of them goes unnoticed and slips through the cracks. I have 2 of them. I paid $50 for one, and $110 for the other.

If you're buying new, the motor, blade, blade guide, and foot plate are sold separately. All total, these 4 parts will run $500-$600.

The blade guide must be the same size as the blade. It isn't interchangeable.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

baileyuph

Replacement of the Bosch foam cutter has not been consumated.  It could be soon with a new replacement.  I will let you know the prices.  Fingers are crossed that I might be able to come in with a savings, particularly if I can use the base from my old saw.  As Paul pointed out, the motor is sold separately, then as the rest is added the price goes up (ie. blades, base and maybe more).

Will let you know, working on that issue right now.

Doyle

sofadoc

Just for grins, I slid the back off my Bosch this morning. The brushes are very easy to replace. And since they're so cheap, it's worth the $7 gamble.

But normally, with anything that I've ever had with motor brushes.......when they wear out, the motor just stops turning. I've never known one to get hot because of worn out brushes.

But if you do buy a new motor, the blade guide, blades, and footplate will all move from the old one to the new one with no trouble.

baileyuph

The existing bosch has worn gears, brushes are not the problem, the motor still runs, but it was the worn gears that caused the over heating (maybe over warming tells the best story).  When I saw the gears, the course went directly for replacement.

If the base plate, and new unused blades on hand will work, it isn't going to cost me close to $600, fingers crossed.  Should find out, I have the order placed now.   Quality tools are important and I spend a lot of time with them, to justify what is supposed to be good equipment.  I am thinking of only going with the 9 inch blade.  So far that has worked.

Doyle

MinUph

Nine is just fine. The one I bought used is only 5" and it is much easier to work with on 5" and under foam. We also have a 12" but it is awkward to me cutting 4-5" foam.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

sofadoc

Does Bosch offer a 9" blade?

I've only seen 5", 8", and 12".

I have 2 Bosch cutters. One with 5" blades, and one with 8" blades.

I don't think I would ever need 12", since I never cut foam thicker than 6".

scott_san_diego

I just bought a new bosch motor assembly through amazon and I think the cost was around $300.  Had it in two days.

baileyuph

That was the route I took, got the new motor assemly for that money.  I used it already and it reminded me how slick the bosch sounds when in new or good condition.

Dennis - the blade length is litterally a bit longer than the cutting height (8" cutting ht. is one option, blade measures 9 and a small amount more.

I was referred to Bosch on a technical question and learned they will rebuild the old motor assy and give the same warranty as new.  I may just let them rebuild that one and buy the base and blades then have two.  Since I do considerable mobil work there are times this would be an added convience. 

Bosch gave the instruction that the blades could be sharpened with a sharpening stone.

I am scratching my head on how that is done.  Anyone know how to manipulate the stone in your hand and sharpen the two blades?  I guess that would be one to ask Bosch; however, the 9 inch blades would only cost -------what in the area of $35??

I will talk to Bosch because sometimes I go by one of their service centers not to awefully far from here (I could drop it off).

Bosch equipment still impresses me, there may be others as good or better?

Doyle

Rich

I've had a Bosch foam cutter for somewhere around 20 years. Shortly after I bought it, the armature exploded and Bosch sent me a new one. Maybe they were having problems with that. It's been fine all these years and somewhere along the line, I replaced the blade with a 12" one. I can't imagine using it with a shorter blade. But that's just me.
Once in a while, i will pass the teeth over the edge of a sharpening stone and that seems to dress it up.
Rich
Everything's getting so expensive these days, doesn't anything ever stay at the same price? Well the price for reupholstery hasn't changed much in years!