Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 14, 2024, 01:29:31 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Business Activity & Task %

Started by brmax, October 09, 2013, 01:59:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

brmax

I need  help to answer this on a permit, And to do it correctly Im asking you all that have done it for some time as i havent. This activity question has to be described, so I wrote it as: Manufacturing service and Sales primarily with textiles and materials of industry for the upholstery trades of Marine, Auto, Aviation, Commercial and Home furnishings.
The question also has the time and percent of these task below it, that i need some advice with: retail %,  wholesale%,  service%, then these boxes follow to be checked also- manufacture, contractor, other ________

SteveA

A permit should contain exactly the percentages of what you do - only you know that answer.
For insurance purposes - they ask me if I'm a contractor - I always say no because contractors use ladders, and full size power tools that make their risk higher therefore raising the premium -
Hope I answered the question -
SA

sofadoc

Quote from: brmax on October 09, 2013, 01:59:19 pm
This activity question has to be described, so I wrote it as: Manufacturing service and Sales primarily with textiles and materials of industry for the upholstery trades of Marine, Auto, Aviation, Commercial and Home furnishings.
Wow!..........you're a lot more detailed than I am. I just write "Upholstery" on that line. ;D

I can't imagine that it would matter a whole lot if you get the percentages wrong.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

gene

October 10, 2013, 07:36:00 am #3 Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 07:36:38 am by gene
I don't know what country you're in. I don't know what your permit is for.

I'm in the good ol' U S of A.

One thought: I collect sales tax in my state, for my state, on products and services that I sell to folks who are the end user - they do not have a tax exempt form. Would it be important for you to make this distinction in your percentages?

If you put 95% down for retail and 5% for wholesale, that would indicate that you should be collecting sales tax on 95% of your sales. This would be true in my state.

QuoteThe question also has the time and percent of these task below it, that i need some advice with: retail %,  wholesale%,  service%,

gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

brmax

Thanks guys, Good to know that question might get brought up on Insurance, and Detailed well ya know the saying,haha. I should edit the paper then because im not looking to be that busy. Thats a great item to point out on exempt, as in the form there are questions about selling back to school type situations etc., and i will need to do the math correctly.
PS whats the other saying : Im to busy to work
Again thanks you all as its a new trade and lots of unknowns for me and not a big deal about saying that, thats why im here.  
Goes along with my normal remark, Go Pro or go home

brmax

Man i should have been kicked, how forgetfull the last thirty years were as a mediun and heavy equipment, agriculture mechanic. Everybody had a paper on file for sales.
Thanks Gene Im in The US. any other country referenced i was in the Army Engineers
Good Day

baileyuph

In filling out the form, do not check "manufacturer", upholsters would not be catogorized as such.  Just checking upholstering services  or explaining that under "other" will probably be more accurate and lead to less consternation.

If it would help, run your question by those approving of the permit and merely say you are in the repair/ restoration of upholstery seating items. 100% of the time.

That is the essence of what my business does, the seat or piece could come from anywhere.  But, the process of repairing/restoring any seat or upholstery piece is very similar as far as functions go.  It definitely isn't manufacturng as we usually perform out act on something that has already been manufactured.

Doyle