Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 14, 2024, 06:38:46 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Bonded Items

Started by baileyuph, June 28, 2013, 07:26:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

baileyuph

In reading I note that this material is bonded and brush over like, yeah I understand.

Then, something like bonded nylon thread, when thinking about that item not sure I understand a thing about bonded thread.

In bonded nylon, what materials are bonded together? 

Even thinking now, does bonded nylon have twisted yarns?

What is bonded to nylon thread or what is nylon bonded to?

Or?

Doyle

Dede

From:  www.amefird.com/technical-tools/thread-education/thread-science

Quote"Bonded" finish is an additional process performed on multifilament polyester and nylon threads where a special resin is added that encapsulates the filaments forming a tough, smooth protective coating on the surface of the thread. This bonding process adds significantly to the thread's ability to resist abrasion and greatly enhances ply security during sewing.
West Village Studio
www.workroombuttons.com

baileyuph

Good explanation Dede, thanks.

As a note, the reference is in concert with the comment from many old time upholsters who always commented that these"synthetic threads" are heck on a machine.  They much preferred sewing with cotton threads of the time. 

For furniture they used size 24/4 cotton and auto/marine, etc., 16/4 cotton (or larger).  I presume the cotton had some treatment.  As far as I know, those threads might be hard to obtain today.

I am not advocating anything but sewing machines do respond smoother to cotton, particularly to seam start up. 

Interesting and adds to understanding.

Doyle

MinUph

June 29, 2013, 07:26:12 am #3 Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 07:26:37 am by MinUph
We use to used 16/4 cotton thread exclusively for upholstery back in the day. Nice soft stuff. made up much nicer than anything in the nylon family. Poly isn't much better. But cotton thread rotted even in doors after several years. Probably last about a month outside in Florida. It was nice to tear apart the seams though they just ripped out.
And that was a very nice link Dede. Explained all about the processes.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Dede

June 29, 2013, 09:01:39 pm #4 Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 09:08:49 pm by Dede
Thanks guys, but I really can't take credit.  The site has a lot of good information.

Edited to add:  I worked with an upholsterer who used old cotton thread he had acquired from a closed shop.  This would have been over 20 years ago.  I sometimes wonder how his work has held up over the years... but I will say my mistakes tore out fairly easily.  Hmm...
West Village Studio
www.workroombuttons.com

baileyuph

Cotton thread, no problems on indoor items.  Actually, years ago, cotton or another natural fiber thread or cord or rope was used for outdoor with success.  Depended on plys and guage.

At the time cotton, was transitioning to synthetic replacements, I was informed it was due to cost of the natural fiber.  Now, that oil derivaives are so expensive, I am seeing more cotten blended fabrics, some even 100 persent.  I haven't paid attention to thread, but so far see or hear of revival in cotton thread.

I actually like working with cotton better, non marine stuff that is.  My machines enjoyed it a little better also, now I have to replace machine parts more often (those groves the systhetic cuts).

If the thread last as long as the fabric it is a good thread, no matter the content of either, once was said.

Doyle

sofadoc

Quote from: DB on June 30, 2013, 07:00:44 am
If the thread last as long as the fabric it is a good thread, no matter the content of either, once was said.
I agree. For example, using a high quality poly thread on patio cushions is often overkill.

I did some patio cushions several years ago for one of my customers. I told her that it would take longer because I was waiting for more poly thread to come in. She had a party the next day, and since she was planning to enclose the patio in the near future, she told me to go ahead and use nylon thread.

Flash forward several years. She never got around to enclosing the patio. She brings the cushions in to be redone again. While the nylon stitches did rip out easily, they had actually outlasted the fabric (which was totally rotten). 
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

baileyuph

Sofa is verifying a point, the nylon thread does a very good job on patio cushions.  Why we get them in for rework, the fabric is only two or three years old, and the thread is still strong. 

For furniture, nylon will last as long as these fabrics I see today, rephrase by saying the nylon will "outlast" the fabrics I see today.  Plus, size 24/4 cotton would also outlast any fabrics used out of the weather today.

Nothing against poly, I use it too.  For insurance, poly is used for anything with outdoor heavy exposure.  But, it is outlasting the fabrics, in our climate.  Coastal,---------- probably a different point of view.

Doyle

Dede

Could you tell me a little more about cotton thread?  I learned on whatever thread was at hand, and now use bonded poly exclusively because my machine hates soft (unbonded) poly and any kind of nylon.

I never tried threading my machine with cotton, though.  What sizes are equivalent to standard poly sizes?  Where can you still buy cotton?
West Village Studio
www.workroombuttons.com

MinUph

Dede,
  We use to order the 16/4 cotton from out normal suppliers. Not sure who carries it now, but I'm sure if you ask your suppliers they will know. It works so nice, and runs through the machine clean and gives a nice smooth seam.
  Those who have mentioned UV treated nylon thread for outdoor work must not live in Florida. Here it will degrade in a couple of years. I have seen it just fall apart and the fabric or vinyl looks and feels like new. Maybe in an enclosed lanai that doesn't get direct sun it would be ok but in the sun here its history way before its time.
  A good example of what Florida sun does. When we moved here I had a battery box on the tongue of my work trailer with a nylon strap (hold down), that went over the top of the battery box. I'm sure you all know what I'm referring to. Well it was on the trailer for a year up north, Syracuse NY., and looked and felt like new when we came down here. In 8 months it was powder. I'm not exaggerating either.. So it depends on where you live and work as to the necessity of threads and fabrics for that matter.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Dede

Thanks, Paul!  That's enough to get me started.

If it helps anyone, I found a set of charts that compare sizes of different thread fibers:

www.industrialsewmachine.com/webdoc3/thread.htm#Chart (scroll down to see charts)

West Village Studio
www.workroombuttons.com

bobbin

I always use bonded polyester thread.  But I do a lot of marine work and outdoor work, so using poly. is cheap insurance against grabbing the wrong spool for the project.