Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 14, 2024, 09:59:58 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Brands of Marine Vinyl and canvas

Started by n01945, January 18, 2012, 09:30:51 am

Previous topic - Next topic

n01945

Hi - I mainly do residential upholstery but have started to move a bit into marine work. I live along the NE coast and it seems like there is more money to be had in marine cushions than couch cushions....
With that said, I used Sunbrella for my first boat cushions but what about vinyl or naugahyde? Is there a difference? I have been asked to do a few seats that I am assuming are in vinyl for a ski boat. Does anyone recommend a particular manufacturer of vinyl? How about a good wholesaler? I have no idea what a barrel shaped ski boat seat would price out at.. Foam in good shape. Just replacing vinyl. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
Nora

Mike

I like seabrook marine vinyl. Miami
mike on the forum here can set you up with what  you need miamicorp.com onside aside from sunbrella filirniture fabrics you also have outdura furniture fabrics.

JuneC

Morbern and Spradling are two of the main manufacturers of marine vinyl.  They both have several lines geared to that market.  Avoid anything other than marine vinyl on a boat because other lines for autos/home/general purpose lack the mold/mildew inhibitors and UV resistance.  After you get to pull apart a few old seats covered with thick green slime, you'll appreciate this fact.

Miami Mike would probably be happy to send you a few swatch cards.  They have a great selection and some of the best prices around. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

n01945

Thank you both! I will check out Miamicorp.com. Re: foam, if I'm doing a bolster, or other type of attached vinyl covered piece, what type of marine grade foam do you recommend?

Mike

January 18, 2012, 06:30:43 pm #4 Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 06:32:17 pm by Mike
i not a expert on foam types but any marine supplier of vinly with have foam also perhaps mije will have some samples of densities too. 
Hes going to the marine canvas convention in LA so he may be on the road. but he usually gets back to me asap

Mike

were abouts are you on the NE coast, theres also Howards in NT 1 800 438 0043
and D&M dist oin ME http://dmdistributors.com/

n01945

Thanks - I am in Marblehead, just north of Boston. I have heard of D.M. of Maine and will look at the the other one as well. My upholstery supplier does carry some close cell, open cell marine foam etc., but it isn't what he specializes in and I want to make sure I am using the proper materials.

Mike

you asked about canvas i forgot DM also carries dickson acrylic marine canvas  miali has outdure and  recacril and weblon  plus some other brands and then there sunbrella from trivantage

ahkahn

Yeah, Morbern and Spradling are two marine vinyl manufacturers, but there is also Futura, Nassimi, Nautolex, and Naugahyde.

Our marine vinyl selection: http://www.duboisfabrics.com/category_s/186.htm

Our Marine fabric collection: http://www.duboisfabrics.com/category_s/3.htm

We'll be happy to send samples out to any upholsterer who would like.

Take care,
Andrew