Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 21, 2024, 07:42:18 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Mooring cover for Pontoon

Started by BigJohn, December 09, 2010, 06:35:23 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

BigJohn

I'm planning on doing a mooring cover for my 24-foot pontoon, something I never have done before. Needless to say I plan on seeking out some 2nd's, as I don't want to waste too much on this learning experience. I've seen many covers made with 60" widths of fabric running from side to side, wouldn't it be easier to have two runs of fabric the length of the boat with a seam in the middle? Any input would be appreciated.

Big (dumb) John

Mike8560

Usualy 69" width won't make it in twk passesso if I'm fitting a blank over the boat I'll runn my seams sideto
side having said that right nowim doing a poontoon and I patterned it oneseam with 60 " fBric will mOe iit to the handrJlthen ilhave a seam ans add the 10" or so to cover the open section under  the handrail pole down the center also.

timtheboatguy

I always go side to side when I make the blank for pontoon covers. This also allows for a steeper cover which is a plus if you live in snow country.
http://www.timtheboatguy.com

We are not retreating - we are advancing in another direction.
Douglas MacArthur

BigJohn

This brings up another question, how much higher in the center than the outside railings do you make it remembering this cover is only going to be used in the  summer time when it sits on the boat hoist no snow.

Big John

Mike8560

I'd go at least a foot over ra bight and tight.
A bot higher would be better but  not like two feet. It would look like a tent. You want the water to roll off.  If it starts to puddle next to the railing it can streach and get worse.

Darren Henry

Quotewouldn't it be easier to have two runs of fabric the length of the boat with a seam in the middle?

Like Mike said; that usually isn't wide enough, but take your measurements and draw out your cuts on a piece of scratch paper and see which way uses the least material.

The other plus to going side to side is that you are working with a shorter seam(s) and a more manageable roll of fabric as you go so nice straight seams/topstitching are a little easier.

;) When you go to pattern; one of members ( I think it was young Andrew-- 56 fairlane) answered the question of "how do you hold it up in the middle while you pattern?" with "you let it hang that far down into the boat instead". Works great.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Mike8560

I meant to say 60" is not wide enough for two passes if I was going to fit the fabric Blake I would  ut them side to side.  It nkrmaly about 11 feet o er with he pole for me.   I had to make some adjustemt and will install tomorow and I'll take some pi s nut patterning I was a le to get the top out of two passes with about a fort added to cover rhe opening o. The vertical sides

scarab29

December 12, 2010, 09:19:40 am #7 Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 09:33:57 am by scarab29
Here's one I did this fall. Material is toppesey w stamoid binding on the edge. Seam down the center ,  3 tent poles and worked great to keep the water from pooling anywhere. I liked the topessy , lighter weight , nice look like regular acrylic on the outside and a heavy waterproof coating on the backside. Too bad it's going away !!

http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx227/scarab29-photo/DSCF3987.jpg
http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx227/scarab29-photo/DSCF3988.jpg

duct tape is like the force . it has a light side , a dark side , and holds the universe together.

TimsTrim

I run my seams front to rear. 2 and 1/2 widths wide of 60" material. (if a play pen cover).Snaps already in the boat and I use Quick Fits on the snap studs. Pull the canvas up tight all around and go to it. Last thing done is cutting and fitting the poles. Done this way, the weight of the material sagging in the middle of the blank as you fit the cover, will give you the right "fit and finish" when you put in the poles.
If you keep all your canvas "leftovers" as we all do, you will sometimes have enough material to add that "1/2 width " piece  in your blank without ordering extra material and a lot of times I use a different color in the middle to accent the cover.

BigJohn

Forgive me for being so dense but when joining the two lengths of material do you put in a dart from the point of the first pole, or is that one straight seam?

Big (dumb) John

Mike8560

scarab29

Only darts on my cover are at the rail corners . Seam down the center.
duct tape is like the force . it has a light side , a dark side , and holds the universe together.

Peppy

We run seams side to side. Not really a dart, the piece between the poles is a rectangle the seam edges being parallel. The front and back pieces are pie shaped when laid flat. The point of the pie being the poles. We usually make them at least 24" above the rail. Or more.
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠