Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 13, 2024, 06:41:18 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Hard clear plastic you can sew through...name??

Started by Highvelocity, February 21, 2013, 07:23:32 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Highvelocity

February 27, 2013, 01:05:06 pm #15 Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 01:25:23 pm by Highvelocity
Wow, the Oceanclear looks like what I need.  I didn't see anyway to order it on their site.  Anyone know who is a distributer for them that won't kill you on price...???

Ed
Boats Love Hundred Dollar Bills

Eric

February 27, 2013, 04:35:35 pm #16 Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 04:38:26 pm by Eric
You can only get it from Steve. His price is less than others for makrolon. What he sells, has a more flexible coating than Makrolon.
Also if you use Makrolon, you need AR2 that has coating on both sides.

Highvelocity

Quote from: Eric on February 27, 2013, 04:35:35 pm
You can only get it from Steve. His price is less than others for makrolon. What he sells, has a more flexible coating than Makrolon.
Also if you use Makrolon, you need AR2 that has coating on both sides.

I am guessing Steve is the owner of Oceanclear?  I will give him a call tomorrow and see what sizes he has.  The pictures on his site are great, thats really what I want.

Mike

Gee Ed by the time you get your eindow thebway you want it its gona be warm out! ;)

Highvelocity

Mike, I hope you are right.  I am getting enough of the cold weather... I wanna get out and do some boating really bad... 

Mike

im waiting for warmer weather myself  ;D
but here is my little larson earlier this season to help

forsailbyowner

I believe diamond point needles are recommended for sewing the makrolon ie.. Seaclear and oceanclear. I got an infopack with samples and tips for working with it some years ago.

Highvelocity

I just spoke with Steve from Oceanclear, super nice guy.  He is sending me a sample today.  I have a feeling its exactly what I am looking for...  He also imformed me I should use TFLE or teflon thread but can get away with v138 bonded polyester however the plastic will out last the thread...

Ed

scarab29

They were doing an enclosure at mcti when I  was there with that and the machine was servo motor running real slow and using gore ptfe thread and mr needles. Sounded like a punch press more than a sewing machine at the speed they were stitching it. Im sure Dawn there could tell you something good to use if you are still looking.
duct tape is like the force . it has a light side , a dark side , and holds the universe together.

Highvelocity

Quote from: scarab29 on March 05, 2013, 06:41:36 pm
They were doing an enclosure at mcti when I  was there with that and the machine was servo motor running real slow and using gore ptfe thread and mr needles. Sounded like a punch press more than a sewing machine at the speed they were stitching it. Im sure Dawn there could tell you something good to use if you are still looking.

Thanks for the tip, I am waiting on the Oceanclear right now.  I think its what I'm after.  I have a Juki/Chandler machine and it's pretty tough, should be fine.

Can-Vas

When using ptfe, some guys pre-punch the polycarbonate with their machines (without thread) before doing the final sewing to ensure there are no cut or  skipped threads...
I'd rather be sailing..  - but if ya gotta work it's nice to be around boats!