Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 02, 2024, 05:01:08 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Price rant

Started by Mike, August 05, 2014, 09:05:02 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

So this morning I'm talking to a friend of my driveway will discover in the sky stops up from my house with the truck camper looks like he hit the overpass and told the camper on the back of the truck. He asked me about my boat was parked on the driveway getting repairs Evmar the paint job on the whole mixup the name of my truck with the camera shop. He asked me how much will be free six-foot them in top for his boat. 20 years ago when I started doing this it was always $480 for six-foot top aluminum frame George will include installed. He said oh that's way too much I could get it for 375 up the road.  I told him as a good price and he should go for it. It's just something up and running into Leslie on the same thing but the mid tops I think it's the fact that combines cheap of the catalog so they expect me to make one cheap also.

mike802

I once had a guy stop into my shop for some alterations on an old canvas jeep top, it was the old original style cotton duct canvas.  The top was for a different model, but with a few changes it would work on his jeep.  I gave him a price and he told me the guy down the street would do it for half that.  I told him that sounded like a good deal and he should take it to the guy down the street.  The guys mouth about hit the floor LOL.  I know their were some spots in that top that had some dry rot, so I was so glad to see him leave.  Even though I told him their was some dry rot he insisted that it would be ok, he would have been back and it would have been a nightmare, so glad he gave me an out.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power" - Abraham Lincoln
http://www.mjamsdenfurniture.com

Mike

Moke i get alot of people ask me about aito tops. I say i only do boats but there is a auto trim shop up the road. They always say. " ph i already taled to him hes way to expensive".
Have a nice day

bobbin

One of my favorites were the customers with sailboats and sails that were so old and so brittle that repairing them weakened them more than it strengthened them.  They never bothered to wash the sails, and never considered bringing them to a sail loft for routine maintenance... (too expensive).  I would flat out refuse to work on them.  I don't think it ever crossed their minds that old, weak sails are actually kind of a hazard...

Mike

this morning I installed this simple sunshade on a customer boat

while I was there he asked me about a bimini  top on a small boat he got .   it was a moldy old sunbrella canvas hw asked if it cold be cleaned ot need to be replaced . I said it still had life and maybe he could clean it but I doubrt it would be like new he could put it in the washer and then resew and watercoat it.   he asked if I could clean it, it was gross I said I don't want to put that in my washer he sad he didn't either lol and he will  have to have it made new once his wife deside what color she want to have the boat painted ;