Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 10, 2024, 12:05:58 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Questions on Learning Curve on new Juki

Started by NDAV8R, March 30, 2015, 04:41:42 am

Previous topic - Next topic

NDAV8R

Hey there Gang!
    Been saving for a very, very long time now and made a purchase of a new Juki Lu2810 sewing machine that was introduced last summer. With my large Aviation Panels and carpet pieces this one fit the bill. It has a 14" throat and can produce a 9MM stitch.  The extra 4 inches lateral and 1" vertical spacing, compared to my Consews are well worth the money!!
    It is a vertical axes bobbin machine where the bobbin lays flat. And the bobbins are huge!!
Now the down side...I have had more than a few thread jams on start up...ugh!  My question is this for the people who have ran flat bobbin machines... do I have to hold down  the needle thread, or bobbin thread or both threads on startup?  I talked to a Juki Tech over the phone and he said all I have to do is lay both threads under the feet towards the back without holding by hand. I have the bobbin installed correctly (when I pull the bobbin thread-the bobbin spins counterclockwise) and threaded through the bobbin tension spring ok. It only jams or snarls on the couple of thread pokes. A couple of people that have ran those types of machines says you get use to holding them.  Need a little input here. Any tips or advice?
Many Thanks,
Gale. (Ndav8r)
Strive for Perfection...Settle for Excellence!

gene

I have a Juki LU 562 (the Juki LU 563 has a bigger bobbin). The bobbin lays flat.

When I first got this old dinosaur I had the same problem. My other sewing machine has the bobbin under the throat plate and I got away without having to worry about holding the threads as long as the threads were long enough.

On my Juki I have to always hold the needle thread to start sewing. I have the thread laying around 2 o'clock looking down at the needle. I also have to have a bit more thread pulled out than my other sewing machine.

When you cut the thread to take your material out of the machine, cut the thread a few inches longer than you are used to. This may help you to easily get the thread in position to hold it with your finger when you start to sew.

Hope this helps. And congrats on your new machine.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

baileyuph

Ditto to what has been said.

I can add that too tight tensions can add to the problem.  The tech was right, pull the threads to the rear (can be important especially if thread tension is tight).

But in all fairness to the top loader, given the right tensions and thread and perhaps what is being sewn, the bobbin wrap problem isn't always a problem.

At a minimum shove the threads to the rear on start up and run some sample stitches on the job to check the tension issue I raised.

That machine sounds like a "hog!" 

Doyle

sofadoc

It's mainly the top thread that has to be held down by hand. But I always instinctively grab both threads and hold them to the rear as I start up.

"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

cajunpedaler

one thing that I didn't see mentioned was to note where the optimal start up sweet spot is for the needle eye...All the way up, partially up, partially down...if it is the right place, then on stitch start up, it doesn't have to take up any thread..
I know on my Pfaff, that's what I have to look for...it's automatic now..
Lucky you, new machine..
PErry
If at first you don't succeed, redefine success. If at first you fail, redefine failure.

brmax

Hey that machine is to cool, great choice!
Funny you mention it, first thing here this morning so went and filled up coffee.
I believe as mentioned already you have to hold on, and I think the needle thread is the issue mainly.
With the needle down at some stage is the key and Im still working on that position, or need to.
Please don't hold back any pics of the new toys

good day there

baileyuph

Did two projects today on my top loader.  Didn't hold anything, started like a charm.

All this verified is on my top loader, insuring the thread tension was correct enabled the machine to work fine.

On the other side of the situation, wrapping can happen if trying to stitch one stitch at a time, then restarting. 

Doyle

Mojo

Grab both threads. Top loaders have no bobbin casing and are prone to jamming if you do not hold and pull both threads. 2 or 3 titches and your good and can let go.

On my twin needle machines if you do not pull all 4 threads you WILL get a jam. Every time.
Hope your doing well gale. Great to see you on here.

Chris

Joys Shop

brmax

Joy, Im pretty sure that is still one of there flagship Industrial models and there holding the build in Japan, I understand they are doing something here with what they term home sewing models.
Maybe more interesting is there Juki America HQ is in Miami.
I sure looked at the brochures on that a bunch, I think they have worked a double needle in also.

I hope some of that helps, and thanks for all your help

Tejas

When I first started sewing with a top-load bobbin, rather than hold the threads, I stuck a quarter down toward the back of the machine with butyl tape and wrapped both treads one-half turn under the quarter.
Dave

Juki 1508; Bernina 217 with CAM Reader

baileyuph

April 05, 2015, 07:03:26 am #11 Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 07:08:13 am by DB
QuoteTop loaders have no bobbin casing

Removing it isn't required to replace bobbin but there is a casing.  It is part of the hook system.

Doyle