Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 16, 2024, 01:06:59 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Mobile Workshop

Started by sunapeeupholstery, June 23, 2011, 06:38:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

sunapeeupholstery

Hello,  I've been upholstering furniture with a expert for about four years now and feeling confident about going it on my own very soon.

I've been toying with the idea of a mobile workshop (ie converted box van) how well do you all think that would work?

All questions, thoughts, ideas, suggestions welcome. 

Mike8560

I had a mobile shop and many do for boat canvas but I wouldn't want to do boat upholstery in it I don't know a out home couches and chairs but I imagine it's just as hard and I would need more room

sofadoc

June 23, 2011, 06:56:48 pm #2 Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 07:51:06 pm by sofadoc
Are you thinking of doing the job on-site at the customer's home?
Looks like you would have to prep everything first. I don't see how you could do furniture from start to finish out of a box van.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

kodydog

If you live near a very large city with many furniture stores it seems one could make a good living doing repairs. A mobile unit would be very convenient to the store owner you could do repairs at the customers house or in the store warehouse. Good luck and keep us informed.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

Mojo

I worked for 2 years out of a 20 ft enclosed trailer. Thank God those days are behind me. It was a royal pain in the butt. Very little room to work and move material around. Very little room for storage of materials. Comfort was also a factor as I was freezing in the winter time and boiling in the summer.

It could work if you also have a shop for big jobs but if it is going to be the only place you sew it will limit your work. You will need electric as well ( generator ).

My trailer was 8 ft wide and once I set the sewing table up it got tight moving around inside. :) It can be done and I would say it would be OK as long as you have a shop you can take big stuff back to.

JMHO,

Chris

Hamlin

Well in the my point of view is that you should open the mobile workshop this is the very profitable work because the technology is changing day by day. If you have any question about this then you can ask with me I'm also running this business. Best of luck