Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 05, 2024, 06:21:23 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

AAaarrrhhh ! Corner seat.

Started by Grebo, July 25, 2010, 05:13:34 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Grebo

July 25, 2010, 05:13:34 am Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 05:48:40 am by Grebo
OOhh it's driving me mad  >:(
Sunseeker camargue 55. Redoing a couple of the cockpit seat backs.
I have one straight one & one corner.
I am using that PVC foam board for the backs. The corner is a nightmare, I got the board screwed onto the fibreglass molded seat back( on the boat) it bent quite well as I only used 10mm, warmed the whole thing up so it would take the shape.
Ok that went well, I took a pattern of the top & bottom of the curve because I expect the board to bounce back a bit when not under tension.
Now trying to cover the bleeder. I have a good pattern off the old rotten seat but I can't get the *** board to stay in shape to get the covers on  ???
The back is in two rolls, the upper one wasn't to bad because I could tape up the bottom of the board to hold it in the curved shape matching my pattern.
But I can't strap the top & work on the bottom because it pulls the top out of shape  ???
Any bright ideas  :'(
It is  upside down here, the bottom here (actually the top) fits quite well when released, I am still working on the 'larger bottom' (on the top in the piccy)

Mike8560

I'd try A woodworking trick I used to build wooded office furniture. And if you glue two layers of bending board to a shape glue Andorra staple it iit will hold it's shape. Try bending a second layer of board and with contact glue and short staples  when it's dry it should hold.

JuneC

When curved parts don't hold their shape after being removed from their base, I inform the customer that there's no guarantee for wrinkle-free upholstery, though I will try.  In your case, I might try to build a right-angle wooden jig out of 2x4's and attach it to the back of the piece.  It'll be in your way for stapling, of course, but you might be able to work around it.

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Mike8560

June didn't you have a thread on this a while
back same problem i seem  to remember you patterned it with extra curve so when it was installed it pulled the wrinkles out.
Or you could add buttons grebo ;)

JuneC

Yep, I always put in some extra curve, but once the seat is out of the boat it's hard to know how much.  If you put in too much the vinyl will trampoline off the foam and the seams will fail prematurely.  I hate doing those with horizontal rolls like Grebo's doing - especially if the top flares out from the bottom. Getting them patterned correctly can be a real battle.

June

W. C. Fields

Grebo

July 27, 2010, 03:54:08 am #5 Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 01:39:37 pm by Grebo
Exactly June.
Well here it is, not something I am proud of.

He will be wanting the rest of the seats doing & I have another of these corners to do  :'(   So I might redo this one if I can get it right on the next one  :-[

baileyuph

Looks decent Grebo, congrats!

I haven't experienced a seat that is in form installed and looses form when removed, so I didn't have a clue what the issue was at first.  Mike's disclosure of his furniture experience was the beginning clue.  In furniture, most items maybe, either their is a form to cover or a form has to be formed in the cover construction and then filler added.  We get a lot of the latter in contemporary furniture.  They can be head scratchers, especially when patterns are involved.   However, I see some of your problem and seems you get a very good passing grade.

Too bad the form couldn't have been held in shape with metal strips across the back and go from there.  I guess that is the concept June was thinking, with the 2 X 4 framing?

Couldn't have happened to a better person, Grebo is now our resident expert!  What was the secret, merely "trial and error" until you got it acceptable?

Is this typical or was it an anomaly that the structure was separating and losing shape?

Doyle

JuneC

The minor wrinkles there will bake out in the sun by the end of summer.  Like you, though, I'm frequently unhappy with the results but don't know exactly what can be done about it. 

Doyle, these seat backs are frequently 1/4" PVC board and they retain some bend when removed, but not enough to upholster correctly. 

June

W. C. Fields

baileyuph

Almost equal to dressing a greased PIG!

LOL

Doyle

fragged8

hiya

if the two rolls are separate can you drill a hole in the back in between the rolls
and temporarily fit a couple of bolts with eyes on and strap between the eyes to
get the curve held ?

rich

Grebo

Quote from: fragged8 on July 27, 2010, 01:34:42 pm
hiya

if the two rolls are separate can you drill a hole in the back in between the rolls
and temporarily fit a couple of bolts with eyes on and strap between the eyes to
get the curve held ?

rich

Thanks for the nice comments  :-[
Interesting idea Rich, the problem would be getting the centre join stapled down, I think I will try June's idea first  ;)
I won't be doing the rest until later in the year (thank goodness  :D) I hate working with leather/vinyl in the heat.  :( It's bad enough being all hot & sweaty (steady Dave) with out handling that stuff as well.  ???