Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 18, 2024, 01:24:26 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Keeping current and "fresh"

Started by bobbin, June 09, 2012, 02:58:37 am

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbin

Do you make an effort to keep current with techniques and trends in our field?  What things do you do to keep yourself "fresh", interested, and motivated to keep cranking out quality work?

bobbin

I have been very lax about this sort of thing.  And have found myself ground down by my present employment... nothing new, nothing different, and everything must remain exactly the same regardless of its usefulness/not.  Very tiresome!

To that end, I've ramped up the reading and have signed up for a couple of classes that will allow me to "rub elbows" with like-minded tradesmen.  I'm looking forward to it. 

kodydog

June 09, 2012, 06:05:37 am #2 Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 06:12:34 am by kodydog
I don't think its a matter of being lax as much as new trends don't happen often in the upholstery field like they do in, say electronics. And the techniques that are changing in manufacturing simply are not available to the reupholstery trade. DB's post, Furniture Springs-Newer Design, is a perfect example.

It would be nice to have 5 or 6 sewing machines in my shop all set up to preform different tasks. But the cost and space prevents this.

The only trend I feel I need to keep up on is fabric styles and this is mostly dictated by the fashion industry and my suppliers.

Working for somebody that will not order the right supplies is very aggravating.

As far as taking trade classes. Have fun and never stop learning.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

baileyuph

June 09, 2012, 06:54:31 am #3 Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 07:00:00 am by DB
Great topic Bobbin.  

Giving your subject some thought, I would like to say, in my case, keeping current depends on what type of work I get into the shop that has to be done. There could be some older trends out there that I haven't been challenged by, simply because a repair hasn't come my way before. Hence, that is "new" to me.

So, If I may, let me put your interest of persuit in perspective.  

When something new comes along, first I try to analyze the stuffing out a problem, I will ask questions that I think I know the answers to but in asking often a question will be answered that I didn't ask or think of. So, in that perspective, all I have said is;

I start thinking analytically about the problem and start travelling down the road of understanding and getting a fix with the least amount of risk of not doing a fix that equals the manufacturers quality level, in a word "of not screwing up"!

Then, of course where feasible, I start the fix process taking no or very low risk to arrive at a professional solution.

This might sound over cooking the turkey but I am tempered this way because of the level of diversification that goes on in my shop. There is something new, literally, always going on in my shop because every year a new model car or car or something, comes on the market to screw up my world of warm fuzzies up.

I am wound up, so I am going to rein my thoughts in with an example: during the past couple weeks I have had seats come into the shop; out of very expensive farm, earth moving, and transportation equipments. These seats are in equipment, that I am told can run well over a quarter million bucks and the seats themselves over two grand.  I would never have guess the level of complexity of just taking them apart, not to mention getting into the pattern precision requirements of rebuilding the upholstery. So, what do I do to stay on that road of low probability of "screwing up"?

Well, gosh said I was going to unwind above, so I better just do that and say that I go into an analytical state of mind thinking about everything I do, have done, materials used, the patterning process, as well as the sewing operation, and lastly but not least how to get this monster apart and back together like I received it. Throughout this process, I don't assume anything, I question everything including my procedures in hopes of gaining some new advantage, or insurance that I will be able to do this job professionally without getting my rear in the ringer. This can happen because the only constant sometimes is "change" but it is constantly changing.  I am not alone, I have been reading of some of the confrontations, consternations, and issue confronting our marine audience. They have been there and done that also.  

Back to my shop, these new seats in automobiles, especially the luxury cars are a trip if you know what I mean, they are so full of new technology, new ways of doing the upholstery and even the assembly and disassembly can and is often perplexing. The last thing a smart person would do is just dive in and start yanking things around during the disassembly. OH my!  I can just see the plastic this and that or the electrical this and that getting badly damaged.  I am aware of the ramifications, a lot of them, should this happen, and if it did where the buck will stop; that type of mental process engages.

We just have to "think" all the time and guide that thinking in such a way that quality and what is the right thing to do is paramount in the process.

Yes, your idea of rubbing elbows is excellent, just make sure it is the right elbows.

Well, off to engage in some of this analytical thinking, I have some more new furniture to rectify that was called in late yesterday. These are about wood fixes, yes that is part of the diversification. As I do this, I am sure I will learn something.

Later,

You have been a great audience! ;)

Doyle

sofadoc

I tried a couple of trade classes early in my career. They turned out to be just a lot of motivational pep-talk. Every time I asked a REAL question about a REAL problem, the instructor would just get all perky, and change the subject (kinda like fabric salesmen, when you complain about prices).
I hope your experience is better.

For me, this forum has opened my eyes to more possibilities than anything else that I've been exposed to.

Most all of the latest innovations in the upholstery field are geared for the large factories.
Not much new technology for the little guys. Nothing that we could afford, anyway.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

bobbin

Probably the hardest thing about my job is that I'm not allowed to be creative in any way.  No solicitation of my thoughts and ideas on how to approach a job I'm assigned (as Doyle described), and if I deviate from the "plan" I'm questioned relentlessly about why.  Even if the "change" was of no consequence.  "It's a 'boss thing'", I guess, but it makes for a very dull day!  I work "from the neck down" when I'm there and I daydream a lot.   Mostly about the next project I have on the grill in my own shop.  ;)

In my own shop I experiment a lot on things I do for myself and have found some neat little tricks in the process (I like to analyze the puzzle before me, too.  And I prefer to make mistakes on my own stuff).  I experiment with different products and have found some that I like very much.  I understand what you mean when you say that techniques haven't really changed very much, Kody., it's true.  The game I play at home is how to do something most efficiently to save time and minimize the liklihood of silly mistakes.  Basically, "idiot-proofing" the process.

Yesterday I spent the day cleaning my workbench in the garage bay (downstairs from my shop).  It was piled high with accumulated junk (including a fabulous button maker purchased from a friend) and no work of any consequence had occured there in a long time.  Point is, it looks great and now I can actually use it.  What a concept!  And I have a shopping list of things I need to add to it... things that are important but if you don't use a space regularly you wouldn't miss (like a calculator and a pencil sharpener).  It's now clean enough that my brother can help me with an electric strip on the wall, some outlets below, and improved lighting overhead in the bay.

Of course, all this industry is simply going to underscore the reality that work is "nowheresville" and I have to cut the cord and move the hell on.  Oh well, get the major improvements in place, the oil tanks filled first, and keep plugging away on establishing professional accounts and contacts. 

gene

Good question bobbin.

I enjoyed being a part of your audience, Doyle.

These are not in any sort of order:

1. I read books and articles about small businesses and Quickbooks.

2. I'm constantly thinking about new services to offer: refurbishing furniture feet while I'm doing the upholstery and replacing foam in furniture seats without any upholstery are two recent examples.

3. I read and participate in this forum.

4. I youtube "upholstery how to", "upholstery techniques", and "upholsterer" every couple of weeks.

5. I read books and articles on antique and period upholstery.

6. I occasionaly read articles about the upholstery industry. These are mainly about the big mass producers but I do learn some stuff about fabrics and trends.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

sofadoc

Quote from: kodydog on June 09, 2012, 06:05:37 am
The only trend I feel I need to keep up on is fabric styles and this is mostly dictated by the fashion industry and my suppliers.
Doesn't it sometimes seem like our wholesale fabric suppliers are about a year behind on the latest pattern trends?
It just feels like as soon as I finally get the latest books in....they're either already out of vogue, or they have very little "shelf life" left.
But since so many customers furnish their own fabric, I don't find it as necessary to keep up with what's currently chic. And if the COM customers think they're buying the latest trends from discount outlets, they're sorely mistaken.

Another (failed) attempt to "stay fresh" is with my website. My site designer added an "Upload photo" feature for quick estimates. Problem is, everyone sends pics through their I-Phone now. The upload feature only works with a PC.

This topic reminds me of a great line from "The Wizard of Oz". The Lion asked the Tin Man "How long do you stay fresh in that can?"

bobbin

This forum has been a godsend for me.  So many bright, funny, competent professionals  who generously share their knowledge with the world wide web.  I like the spirit of generosity and the seemingly endless links. 

Many of the topics are not really related to what I do at work, but oftentimes that doesn't mattter because the basic idea/premise of the discussion has a ripple effect and it causes me to think about the doing of the work differently.  Maybe I can't put the idea into use at work, but I damn sure can in my own shop!  And that "keeps me fresh" in a way. 

byhammerandhand

Where is "Van" when you need him?   He had all the answers.   Just had to try to pry them out of him.

And the other guy with multiple personalities?
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

kodydog

sofadoc

Introducing SPAM into the topic of "Keeping fresh" begs the question:
When SPAM isn't fresh....how can you tell?

kodydog

Don't you hate it when they delete spam just when were starting to have fun?  ;D

Mojo

There are really no new trends in my portion of the business. The trends come in the way of materials ( thread, fabric, etc. ). Measure, cut, fold, crease and sew is the norm. Though lately I have been experimenting with a new design and wont know if it works or not for a year or so.

I have over engineered my slide toppers and awnings to the point that I have driven myself nucking futs. I had a goal to be able to offer the very best topper/awning available so a lot of time was spent making sure I was reaching my goal.

I still get an occasional job that is a departure from what I do everyday and while I should tell them to take the work elsewhere and just concentrate on what I am doing, the thought of a change ( and challenge ) prevents me from doing so.

I love doing different work but rarely do I get the chance. The occasional odd job shows up and I love it. A dash recover for a motorcoach. A boat interior, a 5th wheel enclosure, heck even the stupid things like motorcycle covers, grill covers, garden tractor covers, mechanics mats, mirror covers, tire covers, gym equipment, prayer cushions, etc. I love the work and I love it even more after cranking out dozens of canvas projects that are all nearly identical.

Bobbin, great topic. This is one reason why I love this forum. Someone pops a question and it provokes so much thought within our minds. Someone asks how to do something and then someone likes me reads the responses and learns. I cannot imagine going anywhere and learning more unless it was at some trade school.

Chris

Mojo

Quote from: bobbin on June 10, 2012, 02:33:49 am
Probably the hardest thing about my job is that I'm not allowed to be creative in any way.  No solicitation of my thoughts and ideas on how to approach a job I'm assigned (as Doyle described), and if I deviate from the "plan" I'm questioned relentlessly about why.  Even if the "change" was of no consequence.  "It's a 'boss thing'", I guess, but it makes for a very dull day!  I work "from the neck down" when I'm there and I daydream a lot.   Mostly about the next project I have on the grill in my own shop.  ;)

Bobbin:

Your either an angel or have the patience of a Saint. Either way, if I worked for that jackwagon you work for I would have choked the ever living moose sh*t out of him a long time ago.

I cannot tolerate closed minded people and control freaks. I was married to a control freak for 21 years and left just before I was ready to choke the moose crap our of her. :)

God Bless ya girl. :)

Chris