Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 05, 2024, 10:41:47 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Feathers

Started by bobbin, December 12, 2011, 03:41:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbin

Have any of you had the pleasure of reconfiguring a feather pillow?  I got to do it today!  I had to create a new casing for a seat cushion and then transfer feathers from 1 1/2 inserts to get the new one sufficiently "plumped up".  (Naturally I put on a black turtleneck today).  What a thoroughly miserable job.  I didn't make too much of a mess, but it was fiddly and a little nerve wracking.  How do you do it quickly, efficiently, with minimal mess?

sofadoc

I use this:
http://www.rochfordsupply.com/shop/Upholstery_Tools/Air_Equipment/Bazooka_Filler/index.html
The downside is that my compressor can't keep up. I have to stop several  times to let the tank fill back up. The Bazooka really works best with 50 gal. or bigger tank.
I used to have a homemade rig made from an old vacuum cleaner motor. It worked better than the Bazooka. But the motor finally burnt out. And the new bagless vacuum cleaner motors operate on a different principle, so I haven't been able to rig a new one yet. I keep scanning the garage sales for just the right old vacuum cleaner.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

gene

I always remind myself that no matter how bad it gets, no matter how many feathers spread across my studio, no matter how much dust from the feathers gets into my nose and lungs, no matter how long it takes me to get the different panels even, I am still better off than those ducks.

http://www.upholsteryresource.com/node/240

Stephen Winters frequents this forum occasionally. His web site has a lot of great info.

When I do it by hand, I just take my time and work over a big garbage can with a clean plastic bag. Anything that I don't pull out of the garbage can and use, I just leave it there.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

bobbin

Well that was certainly neater than my effort!  Maybe I'll ask Santa to leave a Bazooka under the tree.  I ended up opening the insert and then basically turning it inside out inside the new cover, things got a little fussier when it was time to add 1/2 the contents of the other insert, mostly because the new cover was pretty full.  But I just gently packed the feathers down and then pinned the the opening closed, and then stitched it twice.  I turned the vacuum cleaner to the lowest setting and used a drapery wand to suck up the loose feathers. 

It never crossed my pea brain to put a clean liner in a garbage can and work inside that, Gene.  Like... ummm... duh.   ::)

kodydog

December 12, 2011, 04:49:16 pm #4 Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 05:38:25 pm by kodydog
Gene you crack me up. Check out this video. Just waiting for a big old truck to come screaming by.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUrRtqkkmtE

Bobbin Sofas bazooka suggestion is the best for less mess. But if your a cheep @$$ like me you can build your own with a fabric tube and air compressor blower. Just punch or drill a hole in the lower half of the tube. The hole should be slightly smaller than the tip of your blower. Stuff the tip in the hole and point it toward the long end. Secure it with duck tape and blow away. Its still work but much easier than hand stuffing.

One year we hired a high school kid to help around the shop. One day I went out back to stuff feathers into a casing. The whole time I kept coughing loudly. Before I came back in I grabbed a couple feathers in my fist. I continued coughing and said, I think I swallowed I few feathers. I had one last, large cough and brought my fist up to my mouth. when I did those feathers came flying out. Our helper exclaimed, OH My. Took him a few seconds to realize what happened. We all had a good laugh.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

MinUph

A barrel works best for me. Deep and clean. We have a bazooka at the shop and it still makes a mess. Containment is the key anyway you do it.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website