Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:32:34 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Fabrics, esp. outdoor fabrics

Started by 65Buick, February 27, 2020, 06:59:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

65Buick

Got a little bit of a tricky question here.

I'm testing out different fabrics to be used as outdoor cushion fabric. Without knowing exactly how it was made, and what it was treated with, I can only go from the manufacturers claims. Also, brand names may not always live up to their supposed longevity.

So, what causes fabric to break down? Dirt, the sun, exposure to the elements. But without having access to a fabric tester (can you find them?) is there any way to simulate these effects?

In my experience, cheap fabric performs just as well as 'brand name', probably because they've all figured out exactly which chemical to use, and at what point in the process.

I just don't want to, and can't, do a bunch of work for people and later find out the fabric was substandard.

kodydog

Rose had these same questions so she called a Sunbrella rep. Her main question was about mold and mildew. Is Sunbrella really resistant to these problems. She had to press him for the answer because their advertising says they are.

The truth is when Sunbrella or any outdoor fabric gets dirt on it mold and mildew will form. Also Sunbrella is breathable, meaning it is resistant to rain but when left out in the elements over time will absorb moisture and start to show wear. He then told her cushions under an over hang or in a sunroom should preform to satisfaction. But in the South (and I'm guessing California too) the sun is the biggest culprit of deterioration.

He said for furniture that is left out in the elements it is best to store the cushions indoors. This is what we tell our customers when they ask about fabric that can be left outside.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html