Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 15, 2024, 09:18:08 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Union Special Sewing Machine

Started by Virginia Taylor, March 04, 2013, 02:13:35 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Virginia Taylor

A friend of mine has got 2 Union Special Sewing Machines.. I have never heard of them so don't know what they are worth.,
Can you help me?.
Virginia Taylor
All American Etc Upholstery
Jacksonville, AR

Mike

sofadoc

Are they walking foot machines? If so, probably pretty old. I wouldn't give much for them. Parts are probably scarce. I'd stick with more common brands like Singer, Pfaff, Juki, Consew, etc.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

brmax

They are a old company like 1940s based out of chicago here but some machining started from germany, model numbers on the machine will no doubt be a need.
I have heard pros mention having them, but im not a pro.  If some pictures could be posted there is always some answers and i would like to here about them.

kodydog

March 04, 2013, 05:02:52 pm #4 Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 05:05:44 pm by kodydog
Found this on the net,

Established in 1881, Union Special is the oldest, largest and last Industrial Sewing Machine manufacturing company remaining in the United States, producing "Finest Quality" sewing machines and parts from casting to finished product all under one roof.

Bag Making, Bag Closing, Carpet Serging, Sewing Geosynthetics, Mattress Tape Edging, Canvas seaming, and Panty Hose seaming are just a few of the industries we service.

Union Special continues to provide genuine parts in support of the vast array and volume of Union Special brand machines in operation in the market today. Though our primary focus today is the non-apparel sewing industries, we also continue to produce 56000, 53000 and 39500 series sewing machines for the apparel markets.

Union Special's large variety of state-of-the-art manufacturing equipment is operated by people who have set an industry standard for excellence. CNC equipment such as Machining Centers, Turning Centers and Grinding Center as well as Precision Investment Casting, Heat Treating, Powder Paint application and In-House Assembly, provide for finished machines and parts that are second to none in quality, performance and longevity.

http://www.unionspecial.com/

Is the one your looking at for upholstery?

There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

Virginia Taylor

His renters moved off and left them, he will send pictures.
and I will post them
Virginia Taylor
All American Etc Upholstery
Jacksonville, AR

sofadoc

So the renters didn't want them huh? Hope your buddy isn't looking for a big payday. ;)
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Mojo

Virginia:

I contacted Bob Kovar at Toledo machine on a couple Union Specials that were offered to me. This is basically what he told me - They are rock solid machines built like tanks but have fallen from favor with the sewing world. Parts are expensive and hard to find now. Make sure they are not sergers, baggers or binders. I have seen very few Union Special straight sewing machines. They specialized in binders, bag and serger machines.

I would only consider them under these three conditions: 1.) They both work great 2.) They are complete and no parts are missing 3.) They are real cheap.

If they are in good shape and walking foot machines I wouldn't pay over $ 200 each.
I turned down the two machines I was looking at.

Chris