Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 15, 2024, 08:10:54 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Interesting article on the revival of industrial sewing in America...

Started by JuneC, February 28, 2013, 07:20:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

JuneC

"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

timtheboatguy

Great Article, this is so needed today. I think most young folks today have no idea how to do anything that does not involve a computer, ipad, or smart phone. We have become a society of consumers instead of do'ers. Hopefully we will see more of this and in other trades as well like metal working, welding, cabniet making etc.
http://www.timtheboatguy.com

We are not retreating - we are advancing in another direction.
Douglas MacArthur

brmax

JuneC
All i can say at this spring training time is Good Eye, for bringing and sharing that. Its a reason this forum has so many professionals as yourself.
Ive been trying to do home work  I guess it is anyway for myself re careering.
As i put 30 plus years in a different occupation and now have had the idea and oppurtunity  to pursue a talent that i enjoyed being a very small part of as a senior in school.
To close Id like to say Im from the school where apprenticeship and work matters.

Again Thanks

brmax

Just to get some kaklin going Im not so old i cant learn new tricks
:P
On a side note though having knowledge of salliemae, and title 4, and college grant stuff from the ole kitchen table planning or discussing, its a pain.  Most training I see is strictly out of pocket savings,  dont rush to thinking where im going.  Pro training is where im looking simply because at my age I understand what its like to have a pro in the room and knowing I did apprentice work many years ago and a different feild of study.
Im kinda po  because 529's or 401 wds cannot be used for most/all i been seeing trade module training without a he- very heavy tax penalty.

im here learning from you guys so bring it on, uh this here shoulder is sore though haha

bobbin

I've been sewing professionally since 1980.  I'm trained in tailoring and alterations.  I've worked in manufacturing, and from there found my way into marine canvas/awnings.  I went to college and worked my way through... running a sewing machine!  I've never been "out of work", either.  I can measure your body, make a pattern, and a custom garment for you.  I can operate, thread, and correctly adjust nearly any piece of equipment within an hour.  Make piece rate? NO problem!  I can fix virtually anything that is put in front of me.  I can make draperies, slipcovers, cushions... I am a professional in our trade!

I think the USA is really missing the boat by not focussing more on the trades and establishing levels of skill/certification within them.  But what do I know? (I run a sewing machine for a living).  Blows my mind that so many college graduates have no idea how to actually DO something with their hands, use basic tools, measuring devices, apply basic arithmetic/geometry, not to mention how "challenged" they are when it comes to putting their thoughts into words! 

sofadoc

No matter how advanced our modern manufacturing techniques get, one fact remains..........seams STILL have to be sewn.

I understand why factories are moving toward as much automation as possible. A machine doesn't call in sick, or file a grievance on you. But I hope there will always be a human element to the process.

I just hope that I can squeeze another 10-15 years out of this biz before the robots take completely over.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

JuneC

Quote from: bobbin on March 01, 2013, 03:38:47 pm
I can measure your body, make a pattern, and a custom garment for you.   

And there isn't a boat or piece of furniture in the world that's more difficult to fit than a human body.  I've done it, but not professionally like you have.  So many curves and so much movement has to be accounted for.  Yikes!

I agree that we need to establish levels of competency within the trade.  But that's not going to happen until customers demand it.  I recall a high-end tailoring retail store locally in the mall (VERY high-end) that made custom shirts - that's all they did.  A friend who's husband was in a professional position bought for him a Christmas gift of a few tailored shirts.  Standard business fare - button down collars, standard cuffs (not French) and they totally got the fit wrong.  He couldn't wear them.   And they were hundreds of dollars each.  The store's long gone.  We've lost our skills.  So sad.  I don't know how you revive the interest in skilled trades. 

And I've talked to numerous customer who think robots sew everything.  They have no clue that every seam sewn on their living room sofa was sewn by a person sitting in front of a sewing machine of some sort.  I don't think that in our lifetime robots will ever replace all that's required. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

sofadoc

Quote from: JuneC on March 01, 2013, 06:50:53 pm
And I've talked to numerous customer who think robots sew everything.  They have no clue that every seam sewn on their living room sofa was sewn by a person sitting in front of a sewing machine of some sort.

Same here. I had a high school class "shadow" me for a few hours one afernoon. They all thought that some sort of giant multi-armed machine spit a couch out.

Ironically, many customers think that my upholstery sewing machine will easily repair shoes, luggage, briefcases, golf bags, purses, etc. They think I can just run a suitcase, or a lawn chair under the foot. Yet they had no idea that it could actually be used to make a sofa cushion.

bobbin

With respect, nothing will ever change within the needle trades by way of the "customer", June.  As a trade and a skilled block of workers we must work together to institute standards and promote those very same standards to the general public.  Our "customers" know little to nothing about what is required to deliver a quality, custom job.  They've been bred and raised on "cheaper is better" and when the real "quality" of cheap becomes clear they whine, piss, and moan that "quality" has gone down the tubes. 

As skilled, qualified, dedicated, and interested professionals we must work together to educate our customers and begin to convince them that "cheap" and "quality" either work together (cheap quality) or oppose each other... it's either cheap or it's quality!  Pick one, go with it, or but you can't have both.  Pretty simple. 

A refugee of the garment trade I am NO fan of unions, although they certainly do have their place (ask the families of the dead workers in Pakistan and Bangladesh fires in the past few mos.).  The Triangle Shirtwaist Factory fire was a long time ago, and it was a rallying cry for unionization.  But with time that union basically wiped out home work for mothers with kids.  I understand why that was so, but I don't see why today, with technology and technological support "home work" couldn't be revisited, it's STILL being done "under the table" even as I type and the exploitation continues.  Maybe it wouldn't be viable but maybe it should at least be revisited.   

baileyuph

It will be interesting to get future reports of this "revival" in sewing.  The link is what we have to go now and mostly the activity is early in development, on a part time basis.

Doyle

Rich

Thanks June, I feel better now!
No really, sometimes I wonder if I got stuck in a time warp. I taught at Brooklyn Technical High School back in the late 70's and since then, I've watched this type of training go almost completely out of existence. I think it's probably time to bring it back but of course in a form that's in tune with today's needs.
Rich
Everything's getting so expensive these days, doesn't anything ever stay at the same price? Well the price for reupholstery hasn't changed much in years!

Mojo

Speaking of training. Remember high school ? I had the choice of taking Nursing, Operating Room technician, Woodshop, Metal Shop, auto mechanics, Industrial Printing and several other classes. I choose nursing believe it or not and then went on to become a paramedic after high school. I lasted one year on an ambulance before I got burnt out from picking up drunks and druggies. I loved the good calls that actually allowed us to help people but had to many junk calls.

They also had typing class, Home Economics where you could learn to cook and sew and a few other classes in high school.

Chris

sofadoc

Quote from: Mojo on March 05, 2013, 03:56:58 am
Speaking of training. Remember high school ? I had the choice of taking Nursing, Operating Room technician, Woodshop, Metal Shop, auto mechanics, Industrial Printing and several other classes.
We actually had upholstering classes at my high school.

My parent's upholstery business had several competitors in town back then. One of them was an alcoholic who turned out mediocre work. When he finally ran his business into the ground, he got a job teaching the upholstery class at the high school.

Back in the 70's, our school district invested heavily in Vocational education. They built a huge building that housed classes for Woodshop, Radio & TV Repair, Auto Mechanics, Upholstery, and other classes like Typing and Home Ec.

They thought that teaching viable trades  was the long term solution. They should've been right.

That building is now used for GED classes. Most of the students are only there to satisfy the terms of their probation.