Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 15, 2024, 09:45:21 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Hard clear plastic you can sew through...name??

Started by Highvelocity, February 21, 2013, 07:23:32 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Highvelocity

Hey all,
    I am trying to remember the name of the stuff I replaced on a fishing boat window I did.  It was a hard rigid clear plastic that you could still sew through. 
    I want to alter my speed boat dodger with it, so I can see better against the wind.  I also need to know where I can get it.  Mike you told me a long time ago but I can't find the thread or the post. 

Thanks for any help,
    Ed 
Boats Love Hundred Dollar Bills

Bob T

Not sure if this is what you are looking for, but windsurfing sails use a hard clear plastic called "monofilm" and it comes in 5 mil, 7 mil, and 10 mil thicknesses.  It comes on rolls 54" wide and if you only want a small amount you probably can get it from a windsurfing sail repair shop or you can order it from Challenge Sailcloth.  It doesn't have anywhere near the lifespan of vinyl, but it is easy to see thru.  The 5 mil is common on light weight windsurfing sails.  7 mil might be a good choice for a vision window.  10 mil tends to be a bit stiff, but a good choice if durability is a priority.  The 5 mil has a useful lifespan of about 6 months in normal tropical UV exposure.

Mike

Marcrilon.
Ocean clear is one   comapny that usues it

Highvelocity

Bob,
    I just ordered a sample of 5 mil from sailrite to see what it's like.  But the 10 mil sounds much more durable.  Can you still sew through the 10 mil...???

Mike,
    I will look at Ocean Clear, I am guessing they have an online site.

Ed

forsailbyowner

Seaclear is macralon which is a polycarbonate sheet with a scratch resistant coating. For much less polycarbonate can be ordered from online plastic distributors. Manart Hirsch IN NEW YORK carries both kinds. Not florida. Keyston also carries the Seaclear.

Bob T

February 21, 2013, 05:43:28 pm #5 Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 05:46:22 pm by Bob T
Oh yes, you can sew thru 10 mil monofilm.  It used to be used in windsurfing sails in locations where there was high concentrations of stress, but in the past 10 years it hasn't seen any usage that I'm aware of.  Monofilm is polyester based.  In UV exposure, it retains it's clear visibility, but it weakens with UV exposure.  I would estimate the useful life of 10 mil monofilm is probably about a year of continuous exposure.   I've not heard of the Marcrilon, but I'm going to find out more about it.  I repair windsurfing sails and have used a bunch of monofilm, mostly 5 mil and 7 mil.  I'm currently out of the 10 mil monofilm.

Check Ocean Clear: http://www.oceanclear.net/products_windows.html

Highvelocity

Bob T,

I am going to try and sew it into this dodger I made.  Here is picture, there is just a bit too much distortion looking out no matter what I do.  So I figured I would give the rigid stuff a try.

Ed

brmax

Is there something like stratoglass possibly, and some even tougher stuff i believe.

Highvelocity

brmax,
    I thought of strataglass, but I really want it to be as rigid as possible, kinda of like a super thin plexiglass you can sew through...
  Ed

regalman190

Trivantage has a product called Sea Clear Polycarbonate.
30 and 40 ga.
Regal Canvas

Mike

Ed a while back ocen. Lear sent ne some samples a couple
Are about 10" swuare that might give your a isldes of the clarity on the abgle as you know binly isnt geat. Especialyy
If your bost id going 80?   They even sent sample needles to try it id slow sewing   For sure. 

Highvelocity

Mike,
     It's amazing to be able to even sew through plastic but your right, slow and go...  My monofilm sample should be here soon.
   Ed

NDAV8R

I have sewn through 1/16" clear Lexon before with my consew, but use a heavy thread...sometimes the hard plastic can produce sharp holes that do cut the thread.

Gale.
Strive for Perfection...Settle for Excellence!

Highvelocity

I just reieved the 5 mil monofilm and it seems kinda light...and Bob T it does look easily tearable.  I am gonna goto Oceanclear and see if they can send me a sample...

Bob T

I went to my Challenge Sailcloth catalog to see if they still carry 10 mil monofilm, which they diid not, however, their catalog did have some very possible materials to fill your need.  For sail makers, there is a product called Flexiclear vinyl in 30 mil and 40 mil thickness.  Then, there is Strataglass which is their "premium flexible vinyl sheet" engineered to resist UV, scratching, and handling.  It has a unique coating which prevents fine line scratches.  Then there is Crystal Clear 20/20 which is Strataglass without the scratch and UV resistant coating.   Then, there is Makrolon Polycarbonate sheets.  Their info says the polycarbonate clear Makrolon has a coating to resist scratching, yellowing, and weakening over years of UV exposure.