Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 20, 2024, 02:19:31 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Friday

Started by gene, August 02, 2013, 05:15:50 am

Previous topic - Next topic

gene

My nephew's son, James Nelson, signed a 3 year deal for 1.5 million dollars with the Dallas Cowboys to play offensive tackle. Kool, huh? He's a graduate of Univ. of Texas at El Paso.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

Mike

byhammerandhand

Teach him money management.   I've heard half of NFL players, despite earning more in a few years that most of us earn in a lifetime, are bankrupt within 5 years of leaving the game.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

sofadoc

Well whadya know.......that just happens to be my team. If he needs any help pourin' piss out of his cleats, tell him to look me up. :D
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

SteveA

Tell him to find out if those stadium seats need recovering -
SA

sofadoc

Quote from: byhammerandhand on August 02, 2013, 03:30:56 pm
I've heard half of NFL players, despite earning more in a few years that most of us earn in a lifetime, are bankrupt within 5 years of leaving the game.
I don't doubt that at all. When Dez Bryant was a rookie for the Cowboys, he went into an Apple store. The line was so long, he paid for everyone's purchase just to move to the front of the line. He had already taken out huge loans in advance of his first paycheck from the team. Then the NFL went on strike, and he found himself being sued by creditors before he ever caught his first pass.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Mike

a ew year back a guy localy here won a huge payout on a lottery ticket I heard he was a lawnmower man, he  went to the local marune max dealership and bought a brand new 12" whaler

I was surprised to hear that but he learned what he needed

Mojo

Awesome. Congrats to the kid. Hope he has an amazing career.

I second what Keith said. I have known several former NFL players who are retired and mis managed their money and never thought of retirement. Depending on the position ( backs, linemen ) most retire in their mid to late 30's.

The sad part of this is that many are so beat up, broken down and busted up that they cannot work. When I retired from coaching tfour years ago ( High school varsity ) two former NFL players assumed my position as Asst coach and offensive coordinator and QB, Backs and receivers coach. I will never forget meeting them for the first time. One was retired from the Chargers and another from the Falcons. Both limped and walked like 80 year old men as their joints were completely shot. Both were in their early 40's.

Tell this young man to put as much of his salary as he can in investments for his retirement. Good luck to him and I hope he has a long, injury free and exciting career. What an awesome experience he will have.

Chris

gene

August 04, 2013, 06:08:43 am #8 Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 06:10:01 am by gene
Thanks for the kind wishes.

I've read many times where a person gets a big contract like this and a relative, uncles and cousins seem to be the favorites, who have NO financial investing experience, become the financial investor for the person who got the big contract. And yes, all the money disappears.

James is a very big young man. The first thing he was told was that he has to put on weight. I take this to mean that he needs to put on massive amounts of muscle (drugs and weight lifting would be my thought).

And yes, he made the team because the Cowboys have 6 other lineman who can't play because of injuries. I'm sure James will get banged up and hurt. I just hope it doesn't interfere with his ability to play and his ability to live the rest of his life after football.

I read somewhere that 75% of ALL football players, including those who only play for a year or two, end their football careers with some form of permanent disability.

gene

gene

I read the cuts the Cowboys made to get down to 53 and my nephew's son was not on it. I got all excited for him.

My son told me that my nephews son had been cut the middle of August. He had hurt his ankle and was on a day to day basis. Their constant concern was that he was not big enough.

He was cut to make room for a defensive tackle.

I don't know if he's done with the NFL or if there will be other opportunities. I would think that was an incredible experience for him.

gene

bobbin

Ditto what Hammer. said.  Congrats to the kid; lots of hard work reflected in being selected at all. 

Aaron Hernandez.  'nuf said.   It takes a lot more than just talent to make in major league sports.