Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 14, 2024, 07:24:11 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Making Estimates

Started by baileyuph, March 07, 2015, 02:15:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

baileyuph

How do you handle the subject on the phone?  A business person will not offend a caller who wants an estimate but always without much information given.

There are ways to handle this that will not cause you to lose a potential job.

I am so diversified (yes, I am poor - wink) and have been honing my skills to give answers to the phone callers that will not turn them off.  I often give them ranges and different examples (if it applies) and say almost anything to gain their interest and not get myself (presentation that is) miss understood.

Some are better at this, we know, but please share something or anything you feel will be beneficial in handling the customer in a manor that will not lose the possibility of getting a job.

Or?

Doyle

MinUph

When we get a new call I listen carefully to what the customer is looking for. If it is reupholstery I will request a picture or pictures of the items if they have that capability. If they don't I will setup an appointment to either go there or have them bring it in if they wish. I have come to like the picture thing either in email or txt because it give me the opportunity to give them a decent guess at an estimate. If it is in the ballpark, so to say, for the customer then I will go to them and look at the item(s). This gets them involved more and keeps me from the ones that think it should cost much less than it does.
  I am always as helpful as I can be on the phone. Friendly and courteous.
  When I use the term I it refers to My Office admin, Amanda. She has done more for me than I had ever expected. I actually can work now. I take over when there are questions or appointments to go on.

Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

scott_san_diego

I'm with Paul.  I ask them to send a picture, otherwise I feel I am on the phone with them a long time listening to them to try and explain  what they want to have have redone.  This week I had about 4 calls with people, right away trying to explain and I just told them  to send a picture.

kodydog

March 08, 2015, 11:33:39 am #3 Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 07:19:29 pm by kodydog
Pictures yes, but here is the difference between how my wife does it and how I do it.

Me- Ug, Ug, Grunt Grunt Pictures, click.

My wife and most women in general take a natural interest in the person on the other end. She will ask three questions that lead to more questions that leads to a relationship between customer and business.

1. What part of town are you in? This can lead to all kinds of discussions like people we've worked for in the area.

2. How did you find out about us? If by referral it will lead to a conversation about that person. If its from the net, more discussion about which source and how did they like our page. If its the YP the obvious question is, you still use that? Joking aside, this will lead to her describing our business, qualifications and history. If not by internet she'll ask, have you seen our web site, facebook page or our page on Houzz.

3. The third question is really a series to find there mind set. Have you ever Reupholstered before? What type of fabric are you looking for? What style is the furniture? And then she'll explain our process of getting a piece recovered.

Rose can easily spend 15 or more minutes on the phone talking to someone she has never met before. I wish I had that gift.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

baileyuph

Interesting points and the variety of handling customers.  Thanks all.

I rarely give estimates on the phone.  Reason is, most callers who haven't had upholstery done before usually are not able to give me the information needed.  So, encouraging them to bring a "whatever" in to let me see is the best way to come up with a cost figure.  I have had customers define what they think the job will require to be done, but it isn't the real issue at hand.  They often just aren't qualified to explain such things on the phone.

I do the picture thing, especially when there is suspect about what is actually needed or required to do the job.  Some, a few will send pictures, but if that isn't enough for an upholster to know give a good estimate, I still won't and then ask them to bring it in.  Some may and most will not.  They are just getting prices and given a dozen of them, likely will not have the stuff done.

We who are making our living from our work, can't afford to spend too much time with someone who is merely looking for a price but will not likely have the work done at all.

Bottom line, one anyway is, if there is enough work flowing in, be nice to inquires but don't let them waste your time.

Doyle

sofadoc

This is a recent phone call from one of my longtime customers:

Caller: Dennis? This is Moxie...........I have tried forev-v-v-v-v-er............to get you on the.........uh..........the uh...........uh.........uh...........Oh Dennis, don't ever get old..........the uh.......uh.......the.........

Me (finally interrupting) The phone?

Caller: YES!! Thank you! The uh.....uh.......phone. I have tried for-r-r-r-r-r.........(you get the idea)

She hadn't even told me what she wanted yet, and I was already ready to blow my brains out.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

MinUph

Got a call yesterday at 4:31. We close at 4:30 but I picked up anyway. First words spoke from the customer were "my son is kicking me out of my house" went on to heard all about the dogs the woman owns, call lasted a good 20 minutes and I had to end it with I need to leave I have a dinner date. She was in her 80s and argued with me on my guestimate yardage. I know this one will be a challenge but will be seeing her next week. Fun. My guess is it will be a waist of my time.
  I won't be answering the phone after closing time again. LOL.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

gene

As the use of drugs increases and increases in our society it will only be getting worse.

I'm still not convinced that marijuana is going to be legalized nationally. The alcohol and pharmacological companies are lobbying like crazy to keep it out. They are concerned about loosing too much business.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

bobbin

That was helpful, Gene.  (cough)

"Key" here is knowing how to END a time-consuming conversation!  I hate the 'phone, gimme e-mail any day of the week!  You want an estimate? send me pictures with basic measurements (I tell them how to measure).  You want me to come to your home? I charge for that!

byhammerandhand

I got a call today from someone who had a tenant that kicked in a cabinet door in the kitchen.  She went on to describe it as particle board that looked sort of like oak.   She said she'd been to Lowe's and Home Depot looking for a replacement door and they wanted an exorbitant amount for a new door.  She wondered if I could fix it because after all, it was just a rental unit and she didn't want to spend a lot of money.     I told her I didn't do that type of work rather than tell her it would probably be much cheaper to replace than to try to repair.   In retrospect, I should have referred her to a guy in town that would have probably charged her $800 for the repair, knowing his going rate for these sorts of things.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison