Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 12, 2024, 09:08:18 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Planning Boat Upholstery Job, Need Advice

Started by jojo, May 15, 2014, 04:40:40 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ajlelectronics

Well it all depends on the size of the panels compared to the size if the fabric. Can you get more than one in the width?

I would divide the panel width by the number of pleats so that they are even. Otherwise, are you able to use a larger panel with a narrower surround perhaps?

MinUph

Definitely you want to make them even on the sides. If the customer expects 2" peats you will have smaller ones or larger on each side. Thats OK but they need to be balanced. It might look better if they are larger. Say 4 pleats (5 seams then 1 1/2 on the edges/

I would make each seat panel separately and a little oversized. Once the pleating is done chalk a line around the size you need balancing the pleats and sew on the outside of the chalk like, cut right up to this seam. This will give you your panel. Move on and sew the rest to it.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Darren Henry

QuoteI would make each seat panel separately and a little oversized.

Good point Paul; I got stung doing a two up sno-mo seat with 1"foam. By the time I got it ready I was almost an inch too short.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

MinUph

Yes even with 1/2" sew foam your taking up at least 1/8" per seam. On a car insert I would cut at least 2" oversized. 3 to be safe.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website