Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 21, 2024, 01:52:25 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

When frustrated?

Started by 65Buick, July 24, 2017, 07:04:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

65Buick

Don't know if this belongs here or in the biz part, but --

What does everyone do when you're just really upset at yourself for making stupid mistakes. That is, mistakes that create major problems because you were careless.

Personally I know for me that I can only do technical stitching in the morning. So this afternoon I opted to discontinue and do other things.

I doesn't really matter the issue at hand - to me it's the same: Bad cuts, poor stitching, improper alignment, etc...

MinUph

Sometimes when things go bad you have to walk away and come back another day.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

SteveA

When I was coming up and learning woodworking - a cabinet maker had to tell me to slow down and take my time.  My cuts were off but I knew how to use wood filler and thought it was more important to get it done without regard to accuracy.  I've always remembered his advice when pressures are causing me to work quickly -
SA

Mojo

Everyone of us makes mistakes, even guys who have been at it for 30 years or more. We all have our off days and when I have mine I stay away from bench work and concentrate on paperwork. My chemo starts kicking my butt about 2 PM so I get as much done as possible in the morning when I am on top of my game.

If your braid dead like I am in the afternoon then you have t make adjustments to your schedule. A lot of days I work till noon, go home and snooze a couple hours, eat dinner and go back to the shop till 9 or 10 PM. All of us have our limitations. You have to acknowledge yours and make adjustments in your work life.

I had a bad month in April as I was rushing production with our manufacturing company. I paid dearly for it with warranty claims and I adjusted how I worked and got back on track. Since then I have had no problems.

Best of luck and don;t beat yourself up to bad.

Mojo

65Buick

Mojo sounds like you have a similar schedule to me. Work technical in morning, nap midday, then more work later. Usually for me more paperwork in afternoons.

Today was a bit better. I did a really nice job sewing welt & boxing. The boxing was not enough so my nice work went to waste. Only halfway through it today as I had to waste a bunch of time driving to the supplier and back.

kodydog

Over the years I have learned a lot of neat little tricks that can save a mistake. And then there are times I'll spend 1-1/2 hours trying to fix a mistake when I should have just started over.

There was a time I would try to estimate the the yardage to the closest inch. This gave me many sleepless nights. Now days I add 1-1/2 yards to almost every job and sometimes 2 yards.

Most mistakes are common ones that we all make. Whenever you make a mistake let us know. We may have some ideas to help you fix it.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

65Buick

Ok, here's a (stupid?) Mistake:

I was rounding a corner sewing the plate to the boxing with welt. Apparently my hand, eye, knee coordination was off. I made 3 stitches to make a nice round corner. On the 2nd stitch, I buried the needle and used my knee to lift the presser foot. When I started sewing again, I forgot to release me knee & presser foot. So the stitches got messed up. I tried to go back and fix it, but could not.

SteveA

You can make snips to ease the turn and not lift the presser foot -
Were you able to take out the stitches and sew it again ?
SA

65Buick

I made a mess there so i actually had to make more welt & cut down the plate.

I was able to successfully sew everything this morning. So now I have to upholster it. I will post a couple photos when I'm done.