Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 09, 2024, 07:58:17 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Serger

Started by SteveA, April 22, 2018, 03:56:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveA

Paul if you want this Toyota I'll send it to you.  I will never use it enough to be worth keeping.  It's the model SL-1T look on line if you think it will work in your shop.  It needs a plastic platform thread stand (cracked)  - parts are available from Seiki Co. including cutters etc.  I have another light duty Singer that has a setting to stitch an edge in a pinch. 
SA

MinUph

May 01, 2018, 06:09:58 am #16 Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 07:28:58 am by MinUph
That would be great Steve, Something to play with to see how it will work for us. Let me know costs and I'll send you a check.
  Thank you very much.
  Been reading up on this and it seems like it should do what I think it will do. This is great. I'll send my address in a private message Steve.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

65Buick

Nice little machine there. I wonder what is the difference with commercial vs home-type? My little brother is solid metal. I don't think a serger will work with the nylon type of parts found in home sewing machines.

sofadoc

Quote from: 65Buick on May 01, 2018, 08:13:57 am
Nice little machine there. I wonder what is the difference with commercial vs home-type? My little brother is solid metal. I don't think a serger will work with the nylon type of parts found in home sewing machines.
Some of the little home sergers will struggle with upholstery weight fabrics. My industrial Juki serger will handle any weight fabric. But it will only accept lightweight serger thread. I believe Mojo said that his will sew 92 thread. For my needs, I only need to secure raw edges, so lightweight serger thread is fine.

The great thing about serger thread, it's insanely cheap compared to upholstery thread. About $3 for a 3000 yd cone.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

SteveA

Paul can I use the email address on your web site.... is that your best contact so I can make arrangements to ship it to you ?
SA

MinUph

Sure Steve. I did leave you a PM also. But the website email is good. Thanks
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Grebo

I have an 4 thread Elna. I was told it is a heavy domestic 😂 whatever that is. I use it on sunbrella cushion fabric & when I make up custom bedding.
This machine can do overlock & coverlock but I can't be arsed to change it over. So waste of money there..lol..
I did trial an industrial version once but found it to temperamental ( threads & needles breaking) and limited to one stitch style. The domestic is far more useful for what I do.
I also have domestic embroidery machine, just in case 😉

Suzi

MinUph

Hey Steve,
  I finally found some time at the shop to play around with the serger. Figured out how ti thread the thing for two threads. I pulled out the threads you had left in the thinking I want to figure out how to so I'll know. Won't do that again LOL. Anyway the third thread gave me issues I haven't figured out yet but I think two will suffice anyway. It worked great. It will be used for arm caps and head throws.
  I did try the rolled enge with only two threads and it worked fine. Just had to move the trimmer out of the way but I don't know how to keep the seam allowance even doing that. I doubt I will have a use for the rolled edge thing anyway. I'm happy with the edge serging.
  Thanks again. I owe you one.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

SteveA

All the best to you Paul - enjoy using it -
Steve

65Buick

I saw on IG a very respectable designer/furniture maker in LA serges her edges before upholstering. I've thought of that before but I can't see why it's worth the time. Even for cushions.

SteveA

Some fabrics just fray enough to test your patience -
I have a pinking shears that's good and sharp and does the job
SA