Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 05, 2024, 09:21:06 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Dog decision

Started by kodydog, August 06, 2014, 12:49:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

kodydog

August 06, 2014, 12:49:40 pm Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 12:51:34 pm by kodydog
I was driving home Monday afternoon and at the intersection of CR49 and Old Brandford Hwy the road headding to Lake City was closed with a detour. This was odd for such a busy road and I figured either a bad accident or a sinkhole opened up.

Today my wife called. One of her co-workers asked if we would like a German Shepard. It belonged his brother in law who was killed in a motor cycle accident on Old Brandford Hwy Monday. He was run over by a dump truck.

We have room for another dog since our last Shepard died over a year ago. This 6 year old boy is a monster weighing in at 120 lbs (or so the guy says.) Nurtured. And friendly with other dogs. He's a fence jumper but our last Shepard was too. German Shepard's are generally one person dogs so there will be some adjusting. We've owned Shepherds our whole married lives so I think we can handle him.

Next week we head to the Ga. Mtns for a weeks vacation and we'll make a decision. He may be gone by the time we get back but we don't want to rush into this and I think it would be very stressful for the dog to take it on vacation. We'll see.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

Mike

boy he must eat a lot of food , my 2 pups I got this spring small dogs are now 18 lbs and maybe 19 on the male don't know yet but wow im going through a bag af puppy food a week.

bobbin

Oh man, what an awful thing.  Bad enough that someone is dead; but I always think about what happens to the animals left behind (same deal with seniors going into long term care).  A bereaved family often unable to cope with an animal... and there is no way to tell a pet why their special person is never coming back and they now live somewhere new.  Ugh.

If you make the decision to take on the orphan, Kody., I am certain he will settle in and adopt you in due time.  You understand Shepherds and you're patient and kind; exactly what that dog will need as he adjusts to life "now".  The more time you take to make the decision the better it will be (we talked about our present dog for a week before "breaking him outta the joint"). 

We took in a kitty who was living in a garage (behind the compressor).  She was fearful and very aggressive with our resident 3.  I broke up a fight and was bitten 3 times (sucked).  But with time and patience she's come around and while they still growl/hiss/occasionally scrap everyone has successfully found common ground. 

Mike

my last dog GiGi  who I had to put down in march was at home when my father who lived with me 5 years ago was home and with him when he fell in my pool in his wheel chair. to tell you the truth I don't recall where she was inside or out when I walk in the house and saw what happened , she ws his companion every day while I was at work. after he was gone she was home alone all day so when I decided to adopt another dog I ended up getting here brother also and they keep each other company when I gone sleep together on each other

Mojo

Kody, I have raised, trained and bred GSD's for over 40 years. There is no other breed for me as I know them inside and out.

We had a large male that was 135 lbs. He was retired from a Sheriff dept at age 5 because he enjoyed his job to much. He tracked the bad guys and would always bite them when he found them versus holding till he was given the command to bite. In other words he LOVED his job. The sheriff retired him because he was a liability.

The handler was a friend of mine and gave him to us. We had him till he was 12 when we had him put down because of bad hips. It took a bit of time for him to bond to us but he did. His handler was a female officer but for some reason he ended up " my " dog. He never bit one person or showed aggression and he was always around our friends and kids. We just knew his triggers and watched him when those occurred ( Joggers or people running and sirens would set him off and make him think it was time to go to work ). :)

I wouldn't hesitate to adopt him. GSD's are so adaptable to new environments simply because of their intelligence. They are an amazing dog and I have no doubt he will fit right in with you. Within 6 months to a year he will be your constant companion and would die for you if need be.

If you need any help, info or advice, let me know. The GSD is the one breed I know inside and out and have a vast amount of experience with.

Best of luck. Go for it and enjoy.

Chris

Darren Henry

Personally, I would go and meet the dog before you take off on vacation. I know it sounds "flakey", but I honestly believe that dogs,horses,and people can get a sense of the  other's personality just by hanging out around each other.

I had absolutely no intention of taking on another dog when Buddy showed up on my boss/friend's doorstep. Peter had been after me all week to take him since our pup had been killed and the answer was no! experlative way! I went out to Peter's "to help work on his boat" on the weekend and Buddy came home "on approval".Seventeen years later; his urn sits on my dresser. There were issues---but I just knew we would get through them and that he was a fine chap.

He had been abused and was scared of men. Ask any of the old timers here like Mike,Dennis,etc... that I've spoken to on the phone what my voice is like---She had to put him outside before I got home from work because my saying |HI hon I'm home" to her 4 feet away would make him wet himself at the far end of the hall. Within a couple of months he was my dog.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Mike

August 07, 2014, 01:22:40 pm #6 Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 01:24:06 pm by Mike
Darren i lost your number btw changing phones.
Oh and he mKes a good point. I think if you may be open to the idea of taking him i would be sondering all vacation.if i should have gone to look

Darren Henry

the land line is a Magic Jack number that thinks it's in Winnipeg 1 204 800 3945. Remind me to call you back or call collect---it's free to me Canada,US, and maybe Mexico. I also picked up a pay as you go "smarter than me phone" for Kenora that has free international TEXTING---a voice conversation would probably bankrupt a sheik. I pack it around with me here in Brandon for the other functions---calculator,google maps,camera,etc...1 807 407 5209.

Just don't wet yourself when the jockey at the other end sounds like a fog horn LOL!
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

kodydog

Thanks all. We leave for vacation tomorrow so no time to visit the big guy. The sister of the fellow that was killed says she may take the dog but is worried it may not get along with her large un-nutured dog. If it works out it would be better for the dog. We'll see.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html