Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 19, 2024, 05:12:44 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Fire Compliance Tags - who gets these??

Started by n01945, May 03, 2012, 12:07:53 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

n01945

This a first for me.. I am making cushions for church pews (thank you all who answered my last email about them.) The foam, Dacron, and fabric all meet the CA 133 fire code requirement.  I have been told that I need to sew in tags stating this on each cushion. No problem. I spoke with the MA compliance office and they said these tags come from the fabric supplier. The owner of the drapery co who has contracted me to do the cushions stated she called the fabric manufacturer and they know nothing about such tags and have no clue as to what she is referring to. Anybody ever run into this??

ahkahn

Please discern whether you truly mean Cal 133 or Cal 117.   Cal 133 is a finished product flame certification.  It would be impossible for a supplier to provide certifications on that, as they can not test the finished product (the seat).  That would be for you to do, and the cost runs around $800 with a certified testing laboratory. 

Cal 117 should be no problem, as it is flame spec built into each specific component (foam, fabric, fiberfill, etc).  Typically a supplier (us included) can provide documentation that each product meets a certain fire code. 

Cal 133 is extremely stringent, whereas Cal 117 is not very stringent. 

Please make sure they truly want Cal 133, as that can be a huge job buster (major liabilities and expenses).  Not to mention, you need to make sure each component will help pass the test, too.

-Andrew

n01945

Wow - this is an eye opener. $800? 117 or 133? I live in Mass so I think I will contact the Mass compliance people and see exactly what they want. It seems redundant that all materials have fire code certs and when you put them together you still have to have it tested? Yes, this could be a deal breaker, courtesy the govt.

gene

The tag thing is regulated by each state. Most use CA tags because CA has the most absurd laws.

I know a lady who delivers pillows that she makes with the zipper open. She says this allows her to not have to put a tag on it. There is a tag on the new pillow insert but she says she should have a tag on the pillow cover she made. ???

I know someone else who will print spec info off the internet from a batting mfg and foam mfg and give that to a customer if they ask. Some web sites for fabrics will have spec info also.

Checking with the state is the best bet, but unfortunately, many of these laws are so antiquated, and when you run into a state worker who can barely read or write and has absolutely no motivation to do anything, well, that can be a pain.

gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

ahkahn

The $800 test is only for a certification of Cal 133.  Cal 117 can be supplied by the manufacturer (or distributor). 

-Andrew