Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 02, 2024, 03:24:40 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Aviation Upholstery Project (Cost of Materials)

Started by Taylor521, March 23, 2011, 02:31:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Taylor521

March 23, 2011, 02:31:25 pm Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 02:42:10 pm by Taylor521
Hi, I have a question about the cost of materials.  I am not actually an upholsterer so I am not entirely familiar with the process of upholstering or building a seat.  I am a commercial aviation student at the University of North Dakota and in my aviation management class my group is proposing a business plan for an aircraft upholstering business.  I have been given the responsibility of finding out what the cost of materials for building an aircraft seat for a small general aviation seat (eg. C172 seats) would run.  I would imagine this could generate discussion that might be educational for all of us.  

Here's a guideline...  How much do you think it cost this guy to build the seat in this you tube video?  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f24kj03oEmo&feature=channel_video_title

Any feedback is appreciated, thanks!

Ihavenoname

A seat for a  172 will take about 3 yards of fabric. If leather figure 2/3 a large hide or so.  IF you replace the seat foam you will need 3 inch foam about 20 X 20 is a guess. The back foam should be fine.  The seat in the video will take about 6 to 8 hours of labor time. 

Material cost about $200 for fabric

Leather about $600

labor $300 to $500 is a guess.

NDAV8R

Hey there Taylor:
I have been working for the Fargo Jet Center for over 3 years now doing a variety of things like TIG welding, and machining, but mainly upholstery. Onebonehead has got the numbers pretty close if you are doing a half a$$ job like on the video.  Of course the labor does involve quite a bit more.  I would NEVER construct a seat in that manner! All mine gets stripped down to the aluminum frame,gets inspected for corrosion or other issues, new epoxy paint, new foam, leather, or cloth/vinyl with Burn certificates. New seat belt rewebbing (certified), and installation by an A&P. New carpet, side panels, headliner would be extra. New Weight and Balance to the airplane. And total documentation in logbooks, after complete inspection.

Check out this link to properly upholster an aviation interior...http://www.airmod.com/about/index.htm
Dennis Wolter and his people do it right!

There are too many fly-by-nighters out there!!! You can't cut corners when it comes to FAA regs. Thats where the labors costs soar.

NDAV8R
Strive for Perfection...Settle for Excellence!

Ihavenoname

April 01, 2011, 07:22:23 am #3 Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 07:29:56 am by OneBoneHead
Hay there NDAVSR I've only been working in aviation interior for 18 years.

Thank you for you help.

You are making the mistake a lot of upholsterers make. That is thinking that they are the best and everyone else is no good and half assed. Nice feeling but not based on reality. A lot of new upholsterers after a few years of training think they know it all.

NDAV8R

Quote from: OneBoneHead on April 01, 2011, 07:22:23 am
A lot of new upholsterers after a few years of training think they know it all.

Thanks for the response. Yes I have been working at the Fargo Jet Center for only 3 years. But I have been sewing for over 20 some years now.  I started with them after they made several attempts to get me employed there...great company to work for.  Check out some of my projects in previous post. I admit, I don't know it all.      Hey OneBonehead, would you mind if I contact you by pm if I run into a problem?...and that happens a lot!! I am still in the learning curve!
  Have a great day.
NDAV8R
Strive for Perfection...Settle for Excellence!