Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 17, 2024, 03:29:30 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Need Info on Sunroof disassembly

Started by baileyuph, October 13, 2010, 06:13:49 am

Previous topic - Next topic

baileyuph

I need a refresher on where I might find some documentation on removing the sun screen cover, the slider with the headliner cloth glued on. 

I need to get this slider cover out to replace that cloth.  Anyone know where this documentation is, on line?

This is a 1991 4 door Oldsmobile, the biggest made.  It has been awhile since  we had one of these in.  I recall we had to take the sunroof glass out merely to get the slider out.  I feel more secure about reading on the issue before jumping in.  I haven't done one of these in over ten years, need a memory refresher.

Maybe some one had done a headliner and a sliding lid recover lately?

Thanks in advance,

Doyle

SHHR

October 13, 2010, 07:19:37 am #1 Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 07:21:17 am by SHHR
I did one two weeks ago on a mid 90s cadillac. I don't know if it's the same, but what I did was open the glass in the vent position (where it's just tipped open at an angle). then from inside the car there were three Torx head screws on each side that holds the glass to the sliding rail I removed. From there the glass simply lifted out from the outside. Once that was removed there is a stop block on either side at the rear of the track I had to remove. Then I slid the cover shut and there is a clip at each corner of the cover that needs depressed to reomve it from its track. Again it lifts out from the outside. Then everything installs in reverse order.
It took me less than 20 minutes to do the job including covering the sliding cover.

again I don't know if it's the same but I can't see GM changing the basic design of the sunroof too much.
Kyle

baileyuph

October 13, 2010, 06:16:38 pm #2 Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 06:20:39 pm by DB
Kyle,

I worked on that today, after a few minutes of analysis I jumped on it.  The removal and reassembly is along the lines you mentioned.  Three screws on each side and three at the front to remove a slider track which gave access to the three you mentioned.

Then, the slider came out by flexing it like a hot dog bun to free it from its tracks, two on each side.

But, to recover, was another story because GM used some kind of silicone based glue and it had to be completly removed before the headliner glue was effective.  First time I ever observed that.  Anyhow, got it done and went on to something else.  So, as it turned out the, in and out, was the easiest part.  One never knows, do they?

The touchy thing about these type of cars is working around the plactic parts, I would hate to break a glide or any part.  Where would one find a replacement?  These cars aren't readily available in wrecking yards.  My experience.

Thanks for your comments, now I know what to expect with a Cadillac job. However, that could be the last one, there are fewer of these cars being driven around here.  Perhaps they are and I don't pay attention.  I don't see them as restoration candidates for future work.

Thanks, your reply was beneficial,

Doyle

SHHR

Glad it worked out ok, I do now remember the slider had a clear film on it, almost like the foam backed material had this "glue film" on it and the foam deteriorated and let go. I pulled the film off with a little heat and it came off in a full sheet, then just glued on the new with weldwood.
Kyle