Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 16, 2024, 07:26:33 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Sub Contracting

Started by kre8ed46cess, September 22, 2010, 04:29:29 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

kre8ed46cess

I recently ran across a company that does service work for large furniture retailers, like Ethan Allen and Art Van etc...  They were looking for upholsterers in various parts of the country.  Are they worth looking into?

sofadoc

I've been approached by some of those places a time or two. Like you, I am somewhat intrigued. The snag is, they want a ton of liability insurance, which I don't have. I have so many stores bringing furniture to me now, that it just doesn't make any sense for me to become a "road warrior".
Hopefully, byhammerandhand will see this and comment. He does that sort of stuff.
If you've got the insurance, and are willing to drive all over, it might be worth looking into.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

byhammerandhand

Yes, I'm on the road 90% or more of the time.   Most of my repairs last an hour or two and it does not pay to haul a piece back to the shop (and risk transit damage) unload it, and return with it.   Yes, I could do things more efficiently working at a bench than on a customer's floor, but not enough more efficient to have another hour or more travel time. 

A buddy of mine does a lot of on-site repairs but also does in-shop full reupholstery.  Unfortunately, I would say he's not the best time manager.

One of the big problems is getting the one and two hour jobs scheduled in with the one and two week jobs in the shop.   If things are slow enough, you can do a late start or early finish and spend the ends of the days in the shop.   This worked for me for a while doing refinishing work where I could come back early, sand and apply another coat of stain, finish, glaze, etc.   Lately, I've been on the road more and it is getting more and more difficult to get this time.

I think a good solution might be to say, "I do on the road work on xdays and ydays."   One of my retail clients (before they closed) used to do this.  The service manager was in the warehouse receiving and prepping for delivery on Monday through Thursday and would do all of the field work on Friday.  You will always get the people who say "I'm off on Tuesdays only."   If you have enough business to do half road time, you could say, "This week I'm on the road M-W-F and next week Tues & Thursday" or "This week I'm doing field work on M & F, next week W  & Th, and the following week Tuesday.   Would you like to wait two weeks or schedule another day?"

Who is said client, if I might ask?   There have been a few that have had severe financial problems.  A buddy of mine waited nearly 9 months before his outstanding $1500 accounts receivable got cleared.  And he was thankful to get it then, because he thought he might have to eat it.

Also structure your fees so you at least get something for "trip and evaluation" in case they start sending you a bunch of work that is not repairable or needs specialized parts (recliner mechs, electronic parts, etc.)

If you start doing field work, you'll need to develop a most of the time parts, materials, and tools kit.   If you have to stop and run back to the shop or find items at a supplier or hardware store, it's going to cost you at least an hour's time.  And you're going to have to develop goog problem solving skills.  If you have something in the shop and it takes a day's think time to come up with a solution while you are working on other things, you can't do that when you are sitting on someone's floor.   Evaluate the options and dive in.

Also you need to keep your mouth shut about quality issues.  Expect to fix a lot of shoddy materials and workmanship.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

sofadoc

September 22, 2010, 07:21:44 pm #3 Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 07:30:45 pm by sofadoc
Quote from: byhammerandhand on September 22, 2010, 06:35:52 pm
Also you need to keep your mouth shut about quality issues.  Expect to fix a lot of shoddy materials and workmanship.

AMEN BROTHA!!!

Also, make sure that they really want to hire you, and not just sell you referrals. One of those places wanted me to pay THEM for referrals of people looking for someone to repair their furniture.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

kre8ed46cess

One of the companies was US Quality Furniture Services

ThrowMeAPillow

I worked for a couple of years for a big furniture Retailer in Albany, NY and byhammerinhand's answer is very accurate.  I was an employee and it was OK.  don't know anything about the big "service" companies, but the need is out there and if you have the abilities, it should pay WELL.  We had to replace alot of buttons which had pulled through; replace helical springs on sleepers; chip and scratch on casegoods. replace outside arms and outside backs (kicked in during delivery)  and replace seat covers.  It was not especially 'hard' work but resourcefulness was beneficial.