Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 17, 2024, 04:50:00 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Seat Foam Fabrication

Started by go_hercules, September 18, 2010, 03:24:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

go_hercules

Hi, when I shape a motorcycle seat foam from scratch I've been laminating layers of 1 inch topper foam together then shaping and carving.  My problem has been that where the layers join a glue line forms.  Trying to shape across this glue line is tough because it gets rubbery and tears out chunks.  I have tried not gluing so close to the edge but then the layers try to separate or slide apart when a cover is pulled down tight over the sides.  I am using 3M hi tack spray glue.  I was wondering what any of you guys do when doing this.  I know a lot of you laminate foam for different kinds of seats so was hoping for some advice on this.  Thanks.

JuneC

I don't do motorbike or car seats, so take this from the uninformed...  Could you cover the whole thing with 1/4" or 1/2" foam after you're done shaping to prevent the layers from separating when you pull the covers on?  Or would it fold in the corners.   I think the foam would have to be without scrim to get it to stretch enough. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

MinUph

It might just be the 3M high tack glue your using. Have you tried a foam adhesive? This won't leave a hard edge add should cut just like the foam itself.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

go_hercules

Hi, I have tried putting a layer of thinner foam on after carving, but I still would like to get the shape itself smoother.  As far as the glue goes, can you recommend a particular foam glue that doesn't leave that hard rubbery edge.  I had always used the high tack stuff and wasn't aware of something that might work better for this.  Thanks.

MinUph

I've used a product called Kgrip. It is made for poly to poly. You need to spray it. There are also foam to foam adhesives that come in spray cans. Nice for moderate use. You can find these at Burch Company or here is another link I found. I'm sure a supplier of your also carried this. Might be a slightly different name but the K is usually included.
http://www.yourautotrim.com/cafofaad31re.html
You will see and feel the difference.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

go_hercules

Thanks, I will look for it.  Hopefully it will carve and shape nicely.  I've all but given up finding really thick (4 inches) slabs in a firm enough density so laminating is the way to go.  And it's real helpful for repair work to seat foam.  thanks again.