Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 15, 2024, 06:33:16 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Pricing your Service

Started by baileyuph, January 22, 2013, 05:35:53 am

Previous topic - Next topic

UKSteve

Re: Asian Furniture, since the mid seventies we have had really cheap furniture and people willing to buy the stuff. Furniture has become more of a fashion accesorie here in the last 20 years and there is a mindset that is happy to treat it as such. This furniture has a life cycle that sees it through the latest trend or fad then it's cosigned to landfill the people who buy this stuff are happy to live like that and do not become attached to the furniture, I never get calls from these people. Most of the cheaper stuff came into the Uk from eastern european countries during the last decade, being part of the EU amde this easy. Some larger furniture companies even had it bought in with no bottom cloth on just so they could fix it on here and claim it was uk made. It wasn't all junk but it was built down to a price and had/has a life expectancy to suit.

mike802

QuoteOur own Mike802 makes some amazing furniture. He is what I call a master craftsman. I love watching his videos and have learned so much from them.

The next time I go to buy new furniture I will order it from him. My Great Grandkids will be using it after I am dead and gone.

Check out some of his work and his videos along with his website. His couches and chairs are amazing and what I call heirloom pieces.

No idea how his business has been. How about it Mike ? You been busy ? Sell any of those firelog carriers ?

Chris

Hay Chris:  Thanks for the plug, you made my day brother!  Actually the handcrafted furniture business has been rather slow lately.  I had a good holiday season though, the bread boards and candles sold ok.  I am trying to add more smaller items to my site that are not to expensive, working on building brand and consumer confidence, that sort of thing.  The fire wood carriers are still in the R&D phase, I have one that I am currently using, I can load it up good about 7 to 10 pieces of cord wood, which depending on the wood size is all someone would want to carry, holding up good so far, I think I can offer it with confidence, just need some shop time to finalize the details.  I have so many ideas for new products, from candle holders to desks.  My Staples desk is starting to fall apart and now would be a good time to design and build a new one, one for the business and one to lug around to trade shows, I am thinking along the lines of Shaker, but computer friendly.  The reupholstery side of the business is keeping the bills paid, but I long for the day when I can stop offering upholstery services to the general public and use that skill for building my own products.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power" - Abraham Lincoln
http://www.mjamsdenfurniture.com

Rich

Everything's getting so expensive these days, doesn't anything ever stay at the same price? Well the price for reupholstery hasn't changed much in years!

baileyuph

Let's not think that our government doesn't waste tax money on domestic issues.  Plus, what is the hourly wage of government workers?  This info is available and the average job in Washington is well over $50 now.  Those employees are not doing jobs that demand that kind of pay. 

The focus on government spending is not only on welfare, it is on waste and over spending, domestic spending also. Some say, well it cost that much to live in DC, well, that can be changed. 

Doyle

bobbin

No arguement on domestic spending, Doyle.  It's time to "get real" about what we can afford, what's "fair", and what's necessary.  We're broke! we're runnin' up the tab and we don't want to face reality and the necessity of increasing taxes.  So, something has to give. 

I want to see the bloated, out of control military brought "to heel" in a BIG WAY.  Retirees and their families receiving health care for $500/yr.? UNHUH, needs to stop, IMO since the husband and I can't touch meaningful coverage for less than $12K/yr..  I have a big problem with that inequity!  Back to the issue, how can I possibly price my labor rate at a price that will allow me to compete with "back roomers" with that expense hanging over my head like the sword of Damocles?  I can't! I haven't been able to afford insurance for 2 yrs. now.  How many members of this board have spouses who work jobs that provide health insurance? and how many of those jobs are with "gov't."?

I'm very "competitive" when health care is removed from my equation.  Factor it in and there is no way I can compete.  You want to solve the economic crisis in this country? deal with health care!  But the lobby for the closed market is too strong and it'll never happen. 

We can't afford national health care? please! if we don't deal with it we're really sunk.  Medicare Part E (E= everyone) and we have to start RATIONING what it will cover.  Buy extra coverage in the "free" market!  But every kid should be immunized (and it should be manditory!) and everyone should see a physician's ass't. once a year.  If you're FAT, you should know you are and it should factor into the price you pay for "extra" coverage.  When you go to hospital for a colonoscopy you should be able to see the PRICE up front... no more of this tiered pricing BS, why isn't "cash king" any more?!

Sorry, this one hit a raw nerve, you guys. 

mike802

Yes the health care industry is out of control.  That's why I have decided to take responsibility for my own health.  There is so much info available on the net for alternative methods, herbs, silver, etc.  I think it is important for people to realize that health care is "BIG BUSINESS" and is profit driven, it is better to keep people sick so they require your services, curing disease is not profitable.  Most rank and file health care workers believe they are helping people, its those at the top who are profit driven.  I had not been to a doctor in ten years, but I did get sick about a year ago, high fever with pain in my abdomen.  Everyone in my family kept hounding me to go to the doctor, so I gave in and went to the white coated cereal killers at the ER.  While waiting and waiting and waiting in the waiting room, my fervor broke.  I was giving a bunch of tests, hydrated and given antibiotics, which I detest. and sent home.  I reacted badly with the antibiotics, a follow up with a GP I was told to stop taking them, which I had already done.  $7000.00 later and guess what they found, absolutely nothing!  Oh, I should mention, I did find out that my prostrate was in good health, I could have performed that test at home myself without having to be violated by a female doctor while in a vulnerable state.  Doctors, they can kiss my prostrate access location.  I will take care of my self at home, the next MD I see will be postmortem.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power" - Abraham Lincoln
http://www.mjamsdenfurniture.com