Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 01, 2024, 08:38:08 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Too Many Hats!

Started by timtheboatguy, May 07, 2012, 02:35:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

timtheboatguy

I have got myself doing too many things. My business started out as mechanical repairs on boats and then I got into boat covers to fill in the slow times and then that branched into upholstery as well. Last season I had two employees, one  mechanic with thirty years experience and my son who is a good wrench and all around guy. This allowed my to focuss on the canvas work and upholstery as well as running the business.

Well I had to let my mechanic go last fall and then after keeping my son on all winter at great expense, he took another job at an auto shop and has moved on to bigger and better things than working with the old man. I called my mechanic back and he now has major health issues and will not be working any more.

After the IRS got through with me back in April I have decided that having employees is no longer an option for me anyway, so now I am faced with what to do. I am swamped with work right now to the point that I cannot seem to finish anything. I am thinking that I will shut down the mechanical repair part of my business and just do Canvas work, possibly even stop doing the vinyl work as well at least until I can get more training and experience at it.

Do any of you Marine guys / gals just do canvas only or do most canvas folks do the vinyl work to? I am at the point where I want to concentrate on doing one thing and striving to be the best at it or else I may loose what little bit of sanity that I have left.

Any input appreciated,
Tim

http://www.timtheboatguy.com

We are not retreating - we are advancing in another direction.
Douglas MacArthur

MinUph

Do what you enjoy the most. Sounds like you have a problem many would love to have. Not to lesson the fact that your over worked. But you have a great choice to make. Look at all three and choose the one that make YOU happy. Move forward from there and don't look back.
  Many people do one form of rag work. canvas, furniture, boats, cars you name it. It is near impossible to be all and do all well. Vinyl and canvas goes kinda hand in hand though. Some will want an inexpensive vinyl cover while most will go with canvas. Get the idea?
  Good luck and enjoy your work.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

timtheboatguy

Thanks Paul,
I have known the answer but just needed to hear it from someone else I suppose, that, and a little greed and a big ego gets in the way of a good decision too  :o

Douglas MacArthur

Mike

Tim when I had. Y shop in new Hampshire I was. Usy as hell with canvas from ice out to ice in. Apr to November   I had to stay on the canvas as it is fast and alot easier then upholstery work. I do a small seat somtimes  it I tried to get customers to bring in the upholstery work in the winter when they were done with the boat.  I did t get many.  Most out the bost in storage and had kids football then the holiday and forgot about the bost till spring. So I did t have a rush or many to do so I had time to learn the upholstery end. Here it different I'll do one upholstery anytime   I actuslly like it more even though it slower  people look at it more like its a real art form some may attepmt to do there own canvas work but would even try to make a boat seat in less there just a staple the. Vinyl  on type.
So yes I'd just do the canvas while there money to be made then get the upholstery in the off season
So do you find there more canvas work them the mechical  repairs?
I susposed there more guys who can turn a wrench then sew a straight seam

timtheboatguy

With all the boat dealers that have gone by the wayside I have more mechanical repairs than I can keep up with. I can usuallly make more money per hour, day or week turning wrenches, however there are a lot more expenses such as special tools, diagnostic software, service manuals, inventory. Also, the liability, it's a lot easier to sink or blow up a boat wrenching than making a new cover or some seats.

It comes down to the fact that I enjoy canvas and vinyl work more. I've been wrenching on boat motors since 1984 and I'm tired. The biggest challange is being able to say NO to people that need my ability so I can focus on what I want to do!

Douglas MacArthur

hdflame

Quote from: timtheboatguy on May 16, 2012, 08:50:27 pm
With all the boat dealers that have gone by the wayside I have more mechanical repairs than I can keep up with. I can usuallly make more money per hour, day or week turning wrenches, however there are a lot more expenses such as special tools, diagnostic software, service manuals, inventory. Also, the liability, it's a lot easier to sink or blow up a boat wrenching than making a new cover or some seats.

It comes down to the fact that I enjoy canvas and vinyl work more. I've been wrenching on boat motors since 1984 and I'm tired. The biggest challange is being able to say NO to people that need my ability so I can focus on what I want to do!

Sounds like you've answered your own question.

I've really enjoyed learning to do upholstery.  I've gotten into it gradually, starting with a couple chairs and then some auto upholstery.  I've always wanted to go more towards the automotive area rather than home furniture.  Then I kinda fell into a niche market making gear for mostly one specific type of motorcycle.  Now, I've got more than I can do and it's doing what I want.

I've also started doing leatherwork which ties in with the motorcycle work.  It's nice to be able to ride motorcycles and also make a little money doing something you enjoy.

If you do what you enjoy, I think you'll continue to get better at it which will lead to more work for you.  And, you'll be doing what you want to do.  Not too many people can say that they have a job they really enjoy.

Good luck with your decision.  I hope it works out for you!   ;D

Bobby
www.riddlescustomupholstery.com
www.sunstopper.biz
Several Old Singers
Elna SU
Older Union Special
BRAND NEW Highlead GC0618-1-SC
and a new Cobra Class 4 Leather Machine  ;)

Mike

Funny how alot of us have the same interests. I  ran into Tim first on a Yamaha venture forum.
I used to ride snd in doing so ended up doing bike seats too that I enjoyed   Funny how I could get 2 or 300 dollars for a little not much material bike seat.