Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 15, 2024, 03:48:07 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Designer vs Interior Decorator

Started by baileyuph, March 07, 2012, 06:03:43 am

Previous topic - Next topic

sofadoc

Quote from: kodydog on March 07, 2012, 10:23:13 am
And what the heck is a small, publicly funded, community collage doing hiring a decorator?
They may have just been getting an estimate from her in order to satisfy a state requirement (to get 3 bids).

Before I wised up, I used to waste half a day getting drug all over the campus at Texas A&M Commerce.
I worked up bids on all kinds of furniture. I took the time to show samples and take measurements.
They had absolutely no intention of using me. They jusy needed to get 3 bids.

They already had their upholsterer picked out, and were going to give him the job no matter what. Even though they were required to get 3 bids, they were not obligated to go with the lowest one.

I started telling them that there would be a fee of $200 for estimates that would be credited back to them if they actually hired me to do the work. They stopped calling after that.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

kodydog

Quote from: sofadoc on March 07, 2012, 08:56:56 pm
Quote from: kodydog on March 07, 2012, 10:23:13 am
And what the heck is a small, publicly funded, community collage doing hiring a decorator?
They may have just been getting an estimate from her in order to satisfy a state requirement (to get 3 bids).

I think she needs to "wise up" also. An "Interior Designer" should charge her going rate also.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

gene

March 08, 2012, 06:39:36 pm #17 Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 06:42:53 pm by gene
I told you why I now work in a 'studio' instead of a 'shop'.

I love the designers and decorators that I work for. I will gladly call them anything they want me to, as long as they continue to call me. LOL

When I'm in Northern Ontario wilderness canoeing, I portaaaash. When I tell folks about my trip down here in the states, I portage.

And, how about 'bidness'? How many people say this when the word is 'Business'? Where do they get that D from? I don't mind regional colloquialisms and aberrations. It's shear ignorance that irritates me.

gene, or jean, as bobbin would say

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

JuneC

Me too Gene.  Another peeve - "jew-ler-y" instead of "jew-el-ry".  I could go on for days about the English language.  But then again, this is an upholstery newsgroup.   I'll get off my soap box now. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

sofadoc

My part-time helper never asks "Can I BORROW $10?"
It's always "Could I USE $10?"
I guess the word "borrow" implies an acknowledged promise to pay it back (which he has no intention of doing).

And if you ask him where he LIVES, he'll tell you where he STAYS.

I've only heard the pronunciation "bidness" in such phrases as "Handlin' up on dey bidness".

byhammerandhand

There was an interesting program yesterday on regional US language variants.  Worth a listen:
http://thedianerehmshow.org/shows/2012-03-07/dictionary-american-regional-english
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

kodydog

My dad was in construction in his younger years so when I built my shop he came to help. He told me the first thing I need to do is pull a permit for a "saw pole". So I walk up to the desk at the building dept and told them I need a saw pole to build a shop. They looked at me like I just grew a third eye. After I explained what it was they said, "temporary power pole". Oh. I guess in Michigan the verbiage is a bit different.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

lc

Language can be quite an art but to get tongue tied is another matter.

I was in my late teens and was in Newfoundland for a bit ..We went to a fish and chip stand ..my first time going to one of those and I wasn't used to going to take out places...l the menu had so much fish ! I didn't know what to pick.
Scanning the menu board I came across one I recognized '' Halibut.
When they asked what I would like to order I blurted nervously

'' I'll  have a Hellofa fish and chips please.

I could have crawled under the counter after that.

gene

March 10, 2012, 02:07:56 pm #23 Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 02:10:39 pm by gene
I shared with someone awhile back, and it was not byhammerandhand, how much I think Diane Rehm must have bought her job or got it someway other than talent. She is the most boring and closed minded interviewer I have ever listened to. This person proceeded to tell me that Diane Rehm is the only person or thing he listens to on the radio because he likes her so much.

Hey, I never said I wasn't good at sticking my foot in my mouth! Now, pouring piss out of a boot, well, that's a different story.

If the interviewee doesn't fit into Diane Rehm's liberal sot mind set, she is totally lost, or maybe just not interested.

The last time I listened to her, she was interviewing a blues singer who started singing in the 1950's and could have had an incredible career, but spend 40 years addicted to heroin instead. Diane Rehm asked her why she took so much heroin. The singer said, "Because it felt good honey!" LOL

I used to love listening to Larry King years ago when he could make a furniture upholsterer sound interesting. But then he got too full of himself and all his interviews became about him.

gene

byhammerandhand

You told me about Terri Gross.

Quote from: gene on March 10, 2012, 02:07:56 pm
I shared with someone awhile back, and it was not byhammerandhand, how much I think Diane Rehm must have bought her job or got it someway other than talent. She is the most boring and closed minded interviewer I have ever listened to. This person proceeded to tell me that Diane Rehm is the only person or thing he listens to on the radio because he likes her so much
gene
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

gene

It was Terry Gross. And it still wasn't you that I offended. Well, at least with this situation.

As you can tell, I have a burr under my saddle, as they say in Texas, about PBS.

LOL

gene

sofadoc

Quote from: gene on March 11, 2012, 04:32:56 pm
As you can tell, I have a burr under my saddle, as they say in Texas, about PBS.
As a native Texan, I can safely say that the subject of PBS rarely comes up in the Lone Star State.

PBS is merely a channel that we sometimes land on accidentally when trying to locate an intellectually stimulating episode of The Simpsons, or Family Guy.

byhammerandhand

Well, it's NPR and not PBS.

But you'd probably like the last :38
of this:  (scroll forward to 8:30)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=endscreen&v=XB0W3G74nYY
Keith

gene

March 12, 2012, 05:34:43 am #28 Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 05:36:12 am by gene
OK. It was Terry Gross and not Diane Rehm.

And it was NPR and not PBS.

I hope you're not going to point out that it was someone else telling the story and not me. I'm not sure I'd know what to do with that one??? Am I starting to remember stuff when I wasn't even there to begin with?

And yes, that interview with Ozzie Osborn is a great example of what I mean, or someone else means, about Terry Gross.

Sofadoc, we play board games sometimes like Trivial pursuit and Cranium. It is amazing, or maybe "sad" is a better word, how many answers my 23 year old niece gets correct because she heard it on The Simpsons or Family Guy, having watched the same episodes many, many times.

gene

sofadoc

Quote from: gene on March 12, 2012, 05:34:43 am
It's amazing, or maybe "sad" is a better word, how many answers my 23 year old niece gets correct because she heard it on The Simpsons or Family Guy, having watched the same episodes many, many times.
No doubt, if aliens came down from another planet, the quickest way they could be brought up to speed on our pop culture would be by watching Simpsons episodes.

I was at a restaurant in Europe several years ago, when I heard a bunch of kids at the next table exclaim "MAMA MIA........DATS A SPICY MEAT-A-BALLA!!!".
I knew these kids were way too young to remember the Alka-Seltzer commercial that line came from.
Of course, they said that they heard it on The Simpsons. They didn't even know what the writers were parodying, yet they laughed anyway.