Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 16, 2024, 09:58:47 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Never thought I would.....but.....

Started by sofadoc, February 07, 2012, 07:42:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

sofadoc

Now, when I take down customer info (address, phone#, etc.), I've started getting their e-mail address as well. In this day and age, many customers really DON'T want to talk to a live person.
I'll call and leave messages. No response that day, or the next. But if I shoot them an e-mail, they respond almost immediately.
And with e-mails, you can avoid that sometimes "face-to-face" awkwardness when quoting prices. When they see it in print, they tend to just accept it without any debate.

But I'm STILL NOT going to start texting them!! I refuse to walk around all day with my head down poking at a cell phone.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Steve at Silverstone Fabrics

SD, Welcome to the "dark side".

We just opened a retail fabric outlet and just 10 minutes ago, I gave a customer my business card and instructed her on how to email me pictures of her antique rocker.

Estimates don't get any easier than that....unless they bring the piece with them. Steve

bobbin

I much prefer e-mails to telephone calls!  I can more easily control the computer, and when I hear the "ding" that tells me there's an e-mail I can easily check it the next time I'm near the 'puter.  I register the alert, but it's not nearly as intrusive as a ringing phone. 

I also know how to type properly and typing is very fast for me.  It's easy to compose my thoughts, relay important information, direct someone to an important link, etc..  Now that I have a "business e-mail" address I no longer have to worry that my personal address is going to be bombarded with mail or spam. 

I have a cell phone but reception is dodgy and I neither know nor care to learn about texting so e-mail is my option. 

gene

February 08, 2012, 07:09:11 pm #3 Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 07:11:17 pm by gene
More and more people are receiving and sending emails on their cell phones anyway. I do not text for the same reason I never had a beeper. I don't want another 'thing' to have to respond to.

My kids don't answer their ringing phones. I don't even think they have their ringers on. If I want to talk to them, my wife texts them and they immediately call me. It's like they are sitting there waiting for a text message.

I talked to a lady today who has 15 furniture items she would like me to take a look at and give her estimates and fabric requirements. I could easily spend 2 or more hours in her home going over everything. She will email me pics and basic dimensions and I will be able to give her the same information as if I have taken pics and measurements myself.

Don't you just hate it when people type on their cell phones and it's obvious that their fingers are just too big for the buttons?  8)

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

sofadoc

A lady called me the other day wanting a quote on a recliner. I asked her if she could e-mail me a picture of it.
She said "Oh honey, I'm 70 years old. I don't know how to do any of that stuff. I'll just mail you a picture."
The letter came in the mail today. She sent a PRINTED WEB PAGE!!!
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

rustyeod

This is the age of emails.  I ask for an email address beore I ask for a phone number. All of my estimates are emailed if possible (thru Quickbooks).  This way they get to read exactly what I am going to do for them and there is no debate later on on what was estimated.

Grebo

Quote from: rustyeod on February 09, 2012, 04:45:13 pm
This is the age of emails.  I ask for an email address beore I ask for a phone number. All of my estimates are emailed if possible (thru Quickbooks).  This way they get to read exactly what I am going to do for them and there is no debate later on on what was estimated.

Me too  ;D I can't do mine direct from my accounts thingy but just save them as a pdf then email them.
I don't want a 'smart phone' or tablet.
I am quite happy with a basic phone that I can txt on & take the odd picture if I have forgotten my camera.

Suzi

Mojo

The vast majority of my business is conducted over the internet. I have numerous customers I have never talked to before. I get their dimensions through e-mail, I quote through e-mail, I invoice through e-mail and get final payment through PayPal.

Since my customers are scattered all over the USA I never get the chance to meet 90 % of them.

The one bonus when using e-mails as your primary source of communication:

1.) Everything is in writing
2.) It is easy to go back and read an e-mail to find the info you need versus calling the customer back and asking for clarification on something.
3.) If something does not turn out right you have your e-mails to refer back to. I just had this issue with an order last week. The customer gave me the wrong measurement for an awning. I was able to show him the measurement he gave me. Case closed............his fault.....:)

All of my customers e-mails get printed off and become part of their file. I staple the e-mails together with the shops worksheet and invoice and then file it. I recently set a record with e-mails from customers. A total of 25 e-mails were exchanged between him and I on one project.....lol.

One last word on e-mail's and why I love them. My customers for the most part are retired. They are all RV'ers and RV'ers are a friendly bunch. In other words I can ill afford to be tied up on the phone for half an hour discussing the weather, his coach, my coach, tires, the latest bus technology, etc.

Speaking of getting tied up I recently did an inspection and booked an order from a retired Eastern Airlines pilot. Now my passion is airplanes. I love flying and love planes period. My 10 minute inspection turned into a one hour gab session. Yup .......... 10 minutes was spent doing measurements and recording the data the rest of the time was spent talking about airplanes and flying. :)

Chris

Mike

E mail or texting ,  its the same to me i check email on my phone also , somtimes ill get a request via email  but mostly  phone. i like texting  a person can read it whenever if there busy or not just dglance at the phone.  and are more likely to awnser sooner . BUT I DONT TEXT AS MUCH AS CALL STILL