Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 05, 2024, 11:52:26 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

canvas fasteners - how do the Brits do it?

Started by JuneC, July 08, 2014, 07:33:18 am

Previous topic - Next topic

JuneC

So I've signed on for a bimini and full enclosure on a 43 Fairline Targa against my better judgement.  Did I mention I hate canvas?

Anyhow, I was wondering what the OEM canvas scheme might have used for fastening the front windscreen panels.  On the side windows they used track along the top of the windshield frame.  That ends right as the frame turns towards the front.  The front panels apparently were fastened somehow to the little knobs used for Stayput shock cord fasteners, under the front edge of the frame.  I've never seen OEM canvas for Fairlines - this is reproduction.  The prior canvas maker used large grommets on the panels to hook under the frame.  It can't have made for nice fitting windows with one knob every 15 inches or so.  I just don't get it.  Tracks along the sides so you can get a nice even pull on the side curtains, but sporadic knobs along the front where an even fit is critical (IMHO).

Anyway, does anyone know what Fairline used to hook to those knobs?  On other British canvas like Sunseekers, they simply punched a keyhole shaped hole in the canvas using some reinforced tarp-like material on that part of the canvas and pulled the canvas over the knobs.  Strikes me as a point of failure with no metal around the hole. 

Has anyone used the E-Z Lace Supreme yet?  It might work, but the whole idea of fabric pulled around a knob bugs me. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Grebo

Hmm, can't remember, I think it's just the keyhole, holes as you said. I did come across one which had grommets there instead.
I will go have a look next time I am in the marina.

Suzi

Mike

July 08, 2014, 12:17:48 pm #2 Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 06:29:00 pm by Mike
Deja vu.  June doin canvas ;)

fragged8

July 08, 2014, 03:32:46 pm #3 Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 04:02:30 pm by fragged8
sounds to me like Suzi says, i see these around and they do look really cheap. there is a pvc triangle sewn at each mushroom fixing point and just an X cut into the cover to allow it to push over the head of the fitting .. I call the mushroom fittings lacing buttons.

I think i saw one of Suzi's pictures of a screen cover held on with that type of fixing ??

I would change them if at all possible

Richard

JuneC

Thanks for the input.  I can see where these might work if there were enough of them, but there's only 6 or so across the entire front.  I think I'll put snaps on the leading edge of the frame and ignore those buttons.  I can't add more of them because there's no way to get a power tool under there between the frame and glass to drill additional holes. 

That span from the front to the back of the frame is going to be difficult to seal correctly. 

Some canvas person did a really lousy job on these covers.  I have to believe it was all done after-the-fact, not by the factory.  Look at all the frayed edges.  The canvas was not turned under along the edges to enclose the raw edge, nor was it bound in many places. 

June

"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields