Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 05, 2024, 09:28:12 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Compressor Issues

Started by JuneC, December 26, 2013, 07:29:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

JuneC

I think my faithful DeWalt may be done for.  It starts and the piston pumps slowly - maybe 1 stroke every second - then builds speed till it sounds normal, then after 5 or so seconds it trips the on-board breaker.  I doubt it's economically repairable.  I'd guess the SoFla humidity has probably deteriorated the piston seals/cylinder to a point that fixing just doesn't make sense.  So.... anyone have any favorites they'd recommend for a replacement?  I'd like something semi-portable (less than 50 pounds). 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

SteveA

June
If you liked the Dewalt stay with it I guess ?  3 years ago I bought a sears craftsman for on site work so I wouldn't have to depend on an electric stapler. .  1 horse power - under $ 100.00 on sale and it works great - no complaints -

SA

byhammerandhand

December 27, 2013, 05:43:48 am #2 Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 05:44:18 am by byhammerandhand
I have a Maxus, made by Campbell-Hausfeld.   It's got aluminum tanks so the whole thing weighs 23 lb.   In addition, no rusty water in the tank.   Draining it comes out crystal clear.

I still don't understand how I can get 100 lb of air and it still only weighs 23 lb., though. :-)

I see from Home Depot's web site, they no longer carry it.   That means either you're out of luck, or you might find one on sale there.  Sorry to hear it if C-H discontinued mfr.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/catalog/servlet/THDProductCompare?errorURL=ProductAttributeErrorView&langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053&prodComp_0=202070756&prodComp_1=100665653&prodComp_2=202070726&keyword=maxus
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

Mike

Ive had a kobalt unit i bought at lowes a cew years ago. I love it its like and portable although i only took it one on a bost to install a headliner. It easily hangs on the wall giving easy access to the drain  and it wasnt and arm n  leg
http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/yy102/Mike8560/null_zpscee480a0.jpg

jojo

I also vote for the Craftsman under $100 jobber. Mine is about 10 years old and just won't die.

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-3-gallon-horizontal-air-compressor-with-hose/p-00915310000P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

That yellow curly hose that comes with it sucks though, so don't use it.

Darren Henry

I have a little compressor much like the Craftsman. It's  nice for all the "on site" work I do, but I wouldn't want to rely on it all the time. I've got some tools that are complete air hogs (critter gun, sander for foam, air hammer for stripping) that work the 5 HP 8-10 Gal. oiled compressor pretty hard. My Campbell Hausfeld was the same size but oil less like most of the small ones. I had to install a rebuild kit every couple of years because it cycled too often. It was only like 30 bucks and 1/2 hour but I had to run on scuba tanks or one of my portables until I could get the kit out here from Winnipeg .

When was the last time you changed the oil in your compressor? I would drain it and stir the used oil with a magnet. Unless it came out with a beard of iron filings on it I'd rebuild the old Dewalt and put the money I saved into a cheap jobber for outside work. They are pretty basic to work on and  I've seen your tool crib---should be a two six-pack overhaul LOL
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

gene

Most compressors are self lubricating.

Is yours self lubricating? Check the oil level is not.

If it is self lubricating, check the owners manual and see if there is a way to add lubrication. This may be a slick way to solve your problem.

I've got an over sized Craftsman, stand up with wheels on it, that my family bought me for my birthday thinking I would love it. I appreciate the thought but I did not need something that big.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

JuneC

The problem with replacing the compressor is that it's 9 years old.  DeWalt had just purchased Emglo some time prior but the Emglo design and components were still in the supply chain and it's been a great machine.  Current DeWalts get mixed reviews as it's now made in China with questionable quality control.  The same is probably true of many older compressors.  It was a double-stack with oil so maybe some disassembly with a good cleaning and lube job would fix it up.  No clue.  Apparently the windings and solenoids/capacitors/whatever still work since it starts, runs and does compress air.  I think it's just getting too much resistance when pumping.  The switches and valves are still great. 

The CH looks interesting, Keith.  They're an old client of mine and I have a lot of respect for their products.  I see a few on eBay are still for sale, but none in regular channels since it's discontinued.  I'm liking the fact that it's so light.  Mine weighs about 60 pounds so I keep it on a Harbor Freight dolly for rolling around the shop, but I still have to put it in the truck from time to time and it's a beast, as I'm short and have to lift it above waist level to load. 

Gene, maybe an oil change will help.  I'm clueless about how these things work (I didn't even know if it used some sort of impeller system or piston) but from what I've read now, I gather it's a piston.  I'll disassemble and see what's going on in there. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

byhammerandhand

I believe Senco also makes a lightweight machine.  Both Sencp and Campbelll-Hausfeld are here in town,. one on the NE side and one on the NW.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

Mike

ive got a CH came from my old shop and I put it in the garage at my home. the switch that turns off the motor whe it get up to preasure stopped working it just runs on so it ok for filling tires ect but for the shop it had to go

MinUph

I have an old 1 hp craftsman for working and a PC portable. The portable came with 2 nailers and was a good deal at HD I believe. I'm not sure how Craftsman compressors are now but mine is going on 40 yrs old, runs on 110 or 220 and it likes 220 much better. You can't beat an oil filled compressor. They run smoother, quieter, and last longer.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

baileyuph

My experience and understanding about compressors s very close to Paul's.  The oil type sure are a lot quieter.  I have both and have used the small portables - which sure can be noisy and run a greater amount more.

Doyle

Darren Henry

Ditto on the oil filled being the better machine for continuous/extended duty.

Quotemine is going on 40 yrs old, runs on 110 or 220 and it likes 220 much better.

I've seen many electric motors where can re-configure the windings to for either 110 or 220---I've never seen one that you can plug into either. How does that work?

Quotethe switch that turns off the motor whe it get up to preasure stopped working

I put a new pressure switch on our compressor last year. It was around $30 after taxes.

June; If you can post a pic of your compressor, I should be able to help you out. I've always been 200 Km away from parts/service so have always done our maintenance.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

MinUph

T switch between 110 and 220 i have to 1 change the configuration of wiring inside a box on the motor and 2 change the plug. No hard but it cantjust
be plugged into either unless this is done.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

papasage

my son in law has a  harbor freight and it went out after 10 years . came over and borrowed my  portable till he could  find a replacement . i have a 5 hp twin cylinder i bought  new in  1994. still have my old  small compressor with a steel pump needs a pressure switch .

yep i can`t  under stan how a 5 Lb tank will hold a 100 Lb of air and can still toate it like it was empty
just recovering 40 years