Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 05, 2024, 01:08:16 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

The Mother of all storage ottomans

Started by JuneC, November 09, 2012, 07:54:28 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

JuneC

9' x 3'  I still have to add foam to the tops and cover the whole thing with fabric, which, BTW, has a 27" vertical repeat.  The sides are so long I'm having to seam the fabric and put in a pleat to hide the seams.  I'll be putting a button in the center of the pleat.  Since it would look stuuupid to have a button every 56 inches, there'll be a pleat/button every 16 inches.  Oh, and it weighs about 150 pounds.

June

PS:  What happened to photobucket?  I haven't been there in a while and it's a complete mess now.  Completely unfriendly.  And it can't generate link code with a clickable thumb like it used to.  I had to reach way back into the far reaches of my brain to recreate the code.
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

sofadoc

Quote from: JuneC on November 09, 2012, 07:54:28 pm
PS:  What happened to photobucket?  I haven't been there in a while and it's a complete mess now.  Completely unfriendly.  And it can't generate link code with a clickable thumb like it used to.  I had to reach way back into the far reaches of my brain to recreate the code.
I'm having the same trouble. But I don't have any far reaches of my brain to refer to. ;)
You have the option to revert back to the old photobucket, which is what I'll do if I can't get any help from their tech support (I'm waiting for a response from them).

BTW Neat otoman!
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

gene

I've heard of folks using a coffin for a coffee table and then be buried in it. This is the first time I've heard of someone using a coffin for an ottoman.  :D

It appears to be curved on both sides. Kool.

Is the center part of the top stationary and the two sides open up?

That's a great piece of furniture. I can only imagine the work that will go into it to get it finished.

I hope we can see a finished pic.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

Mike

I was thinking coffin also but you could put ss out oard  on that.
Is it for a customer or yours june did you build the box?

JuneC

Yes, it does look like a coffin.  Or a skiff as Mike suggests.  The lid is in 3 pieces and all lift off completely.  It's going into a commercial boat so will be used to store life vests.  I didn't build the box - the customer had it done by a carpenter.  No clue how he bent 1/2" oak plywood - steam maybe?  There are no relief cuts.

June

W. C. Fields

Allan

June

If it on a boat for jacket storage are the seams and buttons that critical?

Allan

JuneC

Yep.  It'll be the centerpiece of the main salon.  The cutting is generating lots of waste, though.  Hope I have enough fabric  :-[

June

W. C. Fields

Allan

June

Just off topic
Have you used the twin needle singer much?
I am in the process of selling mine as i have just bought a mitsubushi walking foot

Allan

Mike

baileyuph

Just cruious, who defined this as an ottoman? The customer?

The shape, is a small boat, in my mind,   Appropriate for the situation and will be used as a storage item or conversation piece.

Doyle

JuneC

YEAH, it's done.....  12 yards installed!

June

W. C. Fields

gene

Wow. That is awesome.

Great idea to use the red fabric for the buttons. That adds to the project without sticking out like a sore thumb.

That's not an easy pattern to match. Great job.

One other thing that catches my eye is the lines in the welt cord. Perfect!

Next Halloween...   :o

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

Mike

sofadoc

Nice job. Looks like a Sunbrella pattern that I've used a lot lately.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Mojo

You Dah Lady.

Awesome work. But then all of your work is awesome.

Chris