Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 05, 2024, 06:25:20 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Stuffing cushions

Started by JuneC, September 12, 2012, 05:52:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

JuneC

I just think it's the koolest thing ever to stuff cushions with a vacuum and silk film.  SO easy!  I finally took a few secs to take pics of the process.

The skin:

Foam on top, loosely encased in film wrap

Shrink that sucker up and stuff the foam.  It's about 1/4 the original size and 4 inches thick compressed to maybe an inch.

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

gene

There was a window treatment workshop here in town. Went out of business 2 or 3 years ago. It was a mother and daughter team.

5 or 6 years ago I showed the daughter how I use silk film and she started crying. She said for twenty years the worst job she and her mom had was hand stuffing inserts into cushion covers. She said they would always do it first thing in the morning when they both had the most energy.

gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

JuneC

Yep, fighting chair cushion - an $18,000 Merritt ???  (that's the chair, not the boat).  You need silk film with no holes in it.  Just put the end of the hose against the foam, fold the film around the cushion - no need to be neat or tape anything - just make sure all surfaces have film over them.  Hold the hose tightly against the foam and turn on the vac.  In about 3 secs, the cushion's down to next to nothing.  If it doesn't seriously shrink, you have an air gap someplace - a hole, bit of foam uncovered.  The pics are dri-fast foam so it shrinks dramatically.  With high density standard foam it doesn't get as small, but it REALLY takes the pain out of cushion stuffing. 

June

W. C. Fields

Mojo

I have never tried this trick but will next time I stuff a cushion. Thanks for posting June. :)

Chris

baileyuph

What!  $18,000 chair?  Why so expensive, is it made of precious metal?

I am missing something on that one.  Is the name of the chair Merritt, really?

Maybe a google would clue me in?

Anyway, yes the vacuum way really works I hear.  I use silk film without the vacuum and it sure helps also.  But, can't be as easy as the vacuum method.

sofadoc

The only negative that I have with silk film is the crinkling noise. Sometimes, going in and digging the silk film out (without messing up the batting) is almost as tiring as stuffing the cushion by hand.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

baileyuph

Once you clean the film around the zipper, ship it!   ;)

Doyle

Mike

September 13, 2012, 05:42:33 am #7 Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 05:44:55 am by MikeM8560
This is a fish fighting chair on a merrit boat

There sre other brands all ridiculusly expensive as the boats they go on.

http://www.marlinmag.com/files/imagecache/enlarged_image/_images/200705/125-05chair.jpg
There a small chair id like to buy cor the cront of my fishing. Oat that $500
That the problem. How  bad do i want it.

Grebo

Me too June, particularly those awkward shape cushions, hang on... thats about all of them  ::)

Suzi

scarab29

Noise from silk film? Thats half the beauty of the stuff , there's no krinkling noise ! Works for me June , thanks for sharing !
duct tape is like the force . it has a light side , a dark side , and holds the universe together.

sofadoc

Quote from: scarab29 on September 14, 2012, 09:22:57 am
Noise from silk film? Thats half the beauty of the stuff , there's no krinkling noise !
Well, then I wanna get my silk film from the same place that you're getting yours from. Because the stuff they're sending me is noisy as hell.

When I get in a factory job that was stuffed with silk film, I can always tell that they made a half-hearted effort to at least remove most of it.

The stuff I get is a little thicker than I think it should be. So where do you guys get yours?
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

scarab29

last time was from rochford im pretty sure. like ten miles of it on a roll so l'ii probably have to re order in 2020
duct tape is like the force . it has a light side , a dark side , and holds the universe together.

Mike

Ya im on like my Second roll last one from miami corp

gene

In another month we will be talking about stuffing a turkey.

The silk film I use is just like the plastic you get from the dry cleaners - very thin. It's on a roll.

After stuffing, I reach inside and rip out a hand full of silk film from the middle. I then flip the cushion over and reach in and rip out a hand full of silk film from the other side. This makes sure that the foam can breath.

I then reach in to each of the corners and just tear the silk film to make sure it is not compressing the foam, if needed. I then 'stuff' the corners as I do even without silk film to make sure the foam is fitting the corners correctly.

Bake at 375 degrees for 3 hours and serve.

gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

JuneC

Quote from: Mojo on September 12, 2012, 07:07:00 pm
I have never tried this trick but will next time I stuff a cushion.
Chris

It's quite cool even if you don't have a cushion to stuff.  You'd never believe just how much AIR is in the foam!  Truly amazing how small it can get. 

Quote from: sofadoc on September 12, 2012, 07:27:09 pm
The only negative that I have with silk film is the crinkling noise. Sometimes, going in and digging the silk film out (without messing up the batting) is almost as tiring as stuffing the cushion by hand.

Mine makes absolutely no noise at all.  It's insanely thin and soft.  And like Scarab, there's about 10 miles on a roll.  I'm still on my first roll (since 2005) and it ain't anywhere near done yet.  It's been so long I don't remember where I got it. 

June

W. C. Fields