Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 16, 2024, 04:24:09 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Tune-up

Started by brmax, April 07, 2016, 05:52:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

brmax

Good day everyone!
I'm curious if any moderators are selected or volunteering here on the board.
Everyone is super busy I know, so just a curious question for the site.
Also do you feel most users see all site areas first or use all the areas ?

Floyd

Virgs Sew n Sew

I'm guessing that this place is what is known as "self-moderating" but don't know for sure.  I know the admin are displayed in a different color from the rest of us pukes and that is the only difference I've ever seen.

Right before I had my back fused, I was a volunteer moderator on a board for people with spinal issues.  Man, never again.  Someone was always upset.  Their thread had been hi-jacked or was not being given enough attention (responses) or whatever.  I always felt that had a lot to do with the fact that 99% of the people posting were in severe pain (just injured, needed surgery, recovering from surgery, failed surgery).  If you have a successful outcome, you reclaim your life and go about your business again.

To a point, some of that is true here (longevity of users).  A lot of folks come by to get a problem resolved, tips on how to start an upholstery business, etc.  They get the help they need and, hopefully, are off running a very successful upholstery business.  I felt like I had found my niche here.  Liked that there didn't seem to be a lot of drama.  I also recognized that I was likely to have more questions.  Time passed and I made a couple of friends along the way so I stayed, felt comfortable enough to post about things not 100% upholstery related.  I think that is something all "lifers" are guilty of.

Virginia
Fuck this place.

SteveA

Insightful post for a newbie !  Keep at it  :)

SA

Virgs Sew n Sew

Quote from: SteveA on April 10, 2016, 03:39:19 am
Insightful post for a newbie !  Keep at it  :)

SA

Why thank you sir!  Appreciate your feedback!

Virginia

PS.  It's awfully early on a Sunday.  Yet here sit you, myself and Paul.  I was going to sleep in today.  Sleep is highly overrated though.
Fuck this place.

Virgs Sew n Sew

Also should have added that there are quite a few very knowledgeable posters on this site.  When you find your way over here as a very green newbie, it can be very intimidating to even ask a question.  You may or may not even know the correct terminology for the method you are trying to use and you are supposed to ask these people who sound like gods of the upholstery world a question.  I, for sure, felt like Dorothy when she went to see the Great and Powerful Oz the first time.

I'm not saying you should change your posting methods or standards, I'm just offering a possible explanation of why it seems like so many new posters blurt out a question and then depart to parts unknown never to be heard from again. 

Contrary to Dorothy, my experience was that after I stammered and stuttered and figured out some of the correct terminology, most people were very friendly and, in my opinion, genuinely want you to succeed.  That was one of the reasons that I hung around here.  This is a great support system but it may not be readily apparent to a new poster.

Virginia
Fuck this place.

kodydog

Ummm, Virginia did you get demoted or something? I'm pretty sure you have posted more than 12 times.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

Virgs Sew n Sew

Quote from: kodydog on April 10, 2016, 10:36:53 am
Ummm, Virginia did you get demoted or something? I'm pretty sure you have posted more than 12 times.

LOL!

I decided that padding my post count was so much fun that I would start fresh. ; )

Good to see you!

Virginia
Fuck this place.

kodydog

April 10, 2016, 10:52:00 am #7 Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 10:53:23 am by kodydog
Quote from: Virgs Sew n Sew on April 10, 2016, 05:45:24 am
Also should have added that there are quite a few very knowledgeable posters on this site.  When you find your way over here as a very green newbie, it can be very intimidating to even ask a question.  
Virginia

That's the problem with posting on forums like this. Several times in the last few months first timers posted on here wanting to know about a certain project they were going to attempt. Some here suggested their project would be pretty difficult for someone just starting out. I even suggested it would take several years to get the experience to tackle the job they were about to start. When I go back and read these posts I can see how easy it would be to take this the wrong way. For a newbie to think were just a bunch of know it alls. I always try to tell them if they decide to go forward we'll give all the help we possibly can.  But then we never here from them again.

I think everyone here would like to see some fresh faces and help people get into the business but also it is our responsibility to tell them if they are about to bite off more than they can chew.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

Virgs Sew n Sew

Well, I for sure almost bit off more than I could chew my first go round.  I upholstered restaurant benches.  Fabric came with projects and was either defective or was not suitable.  First seat I did was god awful.  Owner was very nice and worked with me.  Hopped on here and talked with you guys and every seat got better.  By the time I finished, I looked like I had been upholstering all my life.  I should also point out I am stubborn and don't like to admit defeat.

Virginia
Fuck this place.

sofadoc

I don't think that we discourage newbies and DIYers.

I think they mainly just wanted free advice, and really had no intention of hanging around anyway.

When we tell them that the project they're about to take on is way above their experience level, I guess they move on somewhere else that will tell them what they want to hear.

I'm always amused by the UK based FB group forum. Most of them learned the trade the "Old school" way, involving years of formal training and apprenticeship. They seem to resent when a newbie (usually American) posts something like "I'm thinkin' bout startin' me up a upholsterin' shop. Is there a video I can watch?"

The Brits will quickly inform them that it isn't as easy as just watching a quick video. Then another American will post "Aw hell! Just tear an old chair apart, an start doin' it...........that's how I learnt".
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

MinUph

Quote from: Virgs Sew n Sew on April 10, 2016, 10:45:09 am

LOL!

I decided that padding my post count was so much fun that I would start fresh. ; )

Good to see you!
Yes, whenever you get an injury your entitled to a fresh start. I thought everyone knew that!
Virginia
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Virgs Sew n Sew

Too funny but that is exactly how I've learned to do chairs.  I take pictures every step of the way and then refer to my pictures when I am ready to start reassembling the chair.

I've also bought the 5 DVD's that are for sale at the top of the forum.  I want to watch them and my down time would have been an excellent time to do that except that my laptop (cheapest one Bob could find) doesn't have a CD slot, I couldn't get downstairs to my tower which would have let me or the TV with DVD player hooked up on the other side of Sew & Sew.  When we got rid of Direct TV, Bob took out the upstairs DVD player.  

So, once I get to being more mobile and get my current rush of prom dresses and income taxes mailed, I intend to be a newbie and watch all five DVD's to see what tips I can pick up.  I figure that also might make me more knowledgeable about answering questions even if something I haven't done.  I can just reference the DVD and perhaps help get some of them sold.  That would definitely be a Win/Win.

Speaking of prom dresses, off to the sewing machine I go.  Very excited for my upholstery client to get here tomorrow.  5 waiting chairs for a barber shop.  He brought one by in January and I have written down that it is a waterfall style chair.  I did about 60 of those for one of the restaurants so I've already got the learning curve whipped into submission on this project!

Virginia
Fuck this place.

Virgs Sew n Sew

Quote from: MinUph on April 10, 2016, 01:30:57 pm
Quote from: Virgs Sew n Sew on April 10, 2016, 10:45:09 am

LOL!

Good to see you!
Yes, whenever you get an injury your entitled to a fresh start. I thought everyone knew that!
Virginia

I did not know that injuries entitle fresh starts but it makes perfect sense to me.  Soon I'll be injury free.  YAEH!

Virginia
Fuck this place.

Darren Henry

QuoteWhen we tell them that the project they're about to take on is way above their experience level, I guess they move on somewhere else that will tell them what they want to hear.

I think in a lot of cases they just don't understand how complex the trade is. In my former life as a shoe maker I also did shoe repair. Almost daily some one would come in with a boot with a hole worn off the side, or something serious like that, and tell me just glue or put a couple of stitches in it. The number of people who would argue with me when I told them their "fix" would not work was mind boggling.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

sofadoc

I'm surprised that you were able to keep the exact same online name. I think when Mike had computer problems a few years ago, he had to re-join under a new name. He went from Mike8560 to just Mike.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban