Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 16, 2024, 01:09:54 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Being our own General Contractor

Started by Virgs Sew n Sew, April 02, 2016, 04:53:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

MinUph

Quote from: sofadoc on April 07, 2016, 09:52:02 am
Quote from: MinUph on April 07, 2016, 09:33:59 am
So how do we know Virginia left the group anyway? Is there some little birdie I don't know about? 
Her name now appears in black with the word "Guest" underneath it.

WOW that was quick. I guess she cant take a little heat!
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Darren Henry

I would call that more than "a little heat".

We have discussed the lowering volume of use on this site for a couple of years now. I just did a google search and did not find this site in the first 8 pages. I believe that that is beyond the patience of most newbies. When I joined we were on the first or second page. Every post moves us up google's list. It also builds friendships that may come come back to help us.  I openly admit I think a little harder and dig a little deeper for someone who I know something about than I do for some 2-3 post newbie who doesn't come back to let us know if our advice was of service, or if they finished the project. I doubt that I would have had my fiancee mail cards from her visit to Arizona and I wouldn't have from Canada for a stranger.

The next time some one has an issue with another member, I would respectfully request that they spend all those keystrokes sending them a personal message rather than causing a riff in public if scrolling over and clicking "next/previous" is too much work.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

scottymc

April 09, 2016, 10:32:20 pm #17 Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 10:36:38 pm by scottymc
Perhaps the decline in membership on this site is that it is set up to talk just about upholstery, even if it is the number 1 thing in your life if that's the only thing people are talking about it's going to wear a bit thin and as far as staying on topic well that's just the way conversations go , they may come back to the original topic or may not, who cares.

Most other forums have a section they can discuss trivial  General Discussion :) I'm on a few surfing forums and the surfing discussions aren't used that much but when a post come up everyone put in their 2cents worth cause the logged in to have a bit of banter what your cooking that night in the "as I lie dying"thread. Yep that thread got a bit off topic, but it works.

Threads like this one and others that have little to do with the trade help brake the ice with anyone new as that might be something they know a bit about and can have a say and then feel more comfortable posting questions.

I read all of it , I like to hear how people in different places go about there daily life.

Virgs Sew n Sew

Hi All!

I was encouraged by a friend to not let one person ruin, what to me, has been a great forum.  I've learned more than I can ever begin to tell you from some very knowledgeable people and I hope that I've been able to pass along a little of what I've learned along the way.

Keith's remarks just caught me at a bad time and I decided if he felt that way, everybody did.  I was told that wasn't true.  So, here I am.

I normally have pretty thick skin but his remarks, a broken knee and dealing with the limited mobility that causes and all the contractor issues, it was, as they say, the straw that broke the camel's back.

I don't read a lot of threads because I know that what is being discussed is not anything I am ever going to attempt.  Perhaps Keith should try that with mine.

Virginia
Fuck this place.

MinUph

Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

SteveA

Virginia..... when Bernie and Trump go at it I'm glad you're here for me to taunt  :o
SA

Virgs Sew n Sew

Quote from: SteveA on April 10, 2016, 03:30:45 am
Virginia..... when Bernie and Trump go at it I'm glad you're here for me to taunt  :o
SA

Steve, I'm shocked you would say such a thing!!!  LOL

I hope that your prophesy is correct.

Virginia
Fuck this place.

Virgs Sew n Sew

Quote from: SteveA on April 10, 2016, 03:30:45 am
SA

Thanks Paul!

And they say that you can't go home again!

Virginia
Fuck this place.

Virgs Sew n Sew

April 10, 2016, 05:55:30 am #23 Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 06:03:21 am by Virgs Sew n Sew
Gene, we have always had non upholstery talk (since I started posting that is).  Folks have posted pictures of dogs they found homes for, talk of dogs and pictures of their dog or dogs, pictures or videos of grandkids, holiday get togethers, well wishes for a family member recovering from an ailment, requests for postcards for a grandchild's class project, my busted knee and contractor from h*ll.  In my opinion, those threads are the glue that binds us as it makes us humans.  I think one or two other posters said that as well.  I know it was what took people off the pedestals I had them on and made me see that they were no different from anyone else, just had a ton of experience under their belts.  Just my opinion though. 

I will also say that I've never seen any post neglected for the bs.  I tend to defer to you long termers on a lot of threads because I don't feel as confident.  There have been a couple of threads that I knew that I had the knowledge and jumped in with my $0.02 worth.  I honestly don't think that people would leave over a little koffee klatzing.  Someone did mention in either this or the Tune-Up thread that perhaps a new forum could be started for those wishing to socialize a little before going to work.  I would whole heartedly support that suggestion.

Virginia
Fuck this place.

Virgs Sew n Sew

Quote from: gene on April 07, 2016, 06:37:43 am
Why is it wrong to tell Virginia what to do but it is OK to tell Keith what to do?

QuoteCalm down
Yes Steve, let's tell others to stop taunting.  :o

QuoteI rather enjoy reading about how fellow upholsterers live their daily lives. It's as relevant to me as discussing the proper way to tie springs or staple a skirt.
Except for Keith's, right? I may not share his exact sentiments but I did appreciate his tack and manner of presentation. I don't think I have that much control.

And don't forget it's the internet. You can't say, "You're full of sh1t. Pass me another cookie, would you?" And you either get a cookie passed to you or thrown at you.

I stopped reading the political thread when Virginia justified Muslin terrorists being allowed to come into this country. It's the internet. I was wrong to expect rational discussions on politics.

And I too rarely read her other posts. And that was my choice.

When I post non upholstery related stuff I put "Friday" somewhere in the Topic line assuming folks know that an incredibly funny, witty, and often insightful joke is contained within the post. But not necessarily upholstery related. I'll make an effort to be more detailed in the Topic line of non upholstery related topics should I post any more such topics.

gene

Gene, please PM me.  I would like to discuss your comment about my justifying Muslim terrorists entry into the US.  Specifically talked about vetting all immigrants.  Would like to make sure you understand that I do NOT think terrorists of any religion/color should be allowed entry.  PERIOD!

Virginia
Fuck this place.

sofadoc

Actually, Gene said "Muslin terrorists".  I'm just glad we don't have a problem with "Burlap terrorists"

Nyuk nyuk.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Darren Henry

QuoteThreads like this one and others that have little to do with the trade help brake the ice with anyone new as that might be something they know a bit about and can have a say and then feel more comfortable posting questions.

I read all of it , I like to hear how people in different places go about there daily life.

I have never been a member of any other discussion boards even though I have visited several for different interests of mine. When I found this site in Feb./04 the first things that struck me were the casual attitude , the  obvious friendships between the Y'abb gods and  how warmly newbies were received and helped. I joined immediately and have enjoyed learning about other parts of the world and "local customs".

I've learned a lot and tried to share what little I could, but it's the people who have me on here twice a day. 
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

scottymc

So Virginia, Have you put out a contract on your contractor?

Virgs Sew n Sew

LOL!

We thought about it but honestly, he's just not worth it.  What goes around comes around seems to come to play most of the time.  Tim (new contractor) will correct some of Ray's crap and my room will look fabulous.  A couple of years from now, Ray will be a fading memory (or sooner I hope).

Virginia
Fuck this place.

gene

April 10, 2016, 04:39:57 pm #29 Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 04:47:19 pm by gene
QuoteActually, Gene said "Muslin terrorists".

The thoughts that come from my tin foil wrapped head tell me to always spell that word that way. If I have been remiss in doing so in the past, it is only due to those moments when I took the tin foil off to give my hair an opportunity to breath.

England has a law that you will be fined, arrested, and possibly imprisoned if you say inflammatory statements about a certain religion. And it is the members of that religion who determine if what you said was inflammatory.

When we get that same law here in the USA, government bots will be searching the internet for transgressors. My electronic footprint will only show an occasional mention of a lightweight cotton cloth in a plain weave.

I will endeavor to persevere.

gene

PS: Let it be known that I was not the one to bring up "Burlap terrorists". I would never go there. Even Obama has never called terrorists "Burlap".
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!