Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 07, 2024, 05:51:56 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Attached to Your Machine ?

Started by Mojo, July 10, 2016, 03:16:40 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Henry

Just to try to get a sense of relative $$$$, What is  a lire of petrol, a big mac, and a pack of 25 cigarettes worth ? How about a pound of beef, a months rent on a 2 bedroom flat, and most important---A dozen beer LOL?

Here the minimum wage is $10.50 so the guy asking you if you want fries with that has to work about 25 minutes for that pound of hamburger or half an hour for a big mac. Seventy hours will cover his rent in a decent neighbourhood. One hundred hours will get him a nice place or a detached house. A box of beer ,a pack of smokes, and enough gas to go see the gang will use up a half days gross pay.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

gene

July 17, 2016, 08:18:21 am #16 Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 08:27:01 am by gene
There is a market for old sewing machines that have nothing to do with sewing. Some folks like to have "antiques" in their house. I've read a few articles that talked about old sewing machines are sought after by such folks.

You can see this more with old home sewing machines that have the finished 'table/cabinet' that they sit in, as well as the old Singer types that you are talking about with the regular industrial table.
----------------------
QuoteHonestly , I don't reckon it's worth what he is asking.

It is always worth exactly what someone is willing to pay for it. And not a penny more.

I enjoyed your video, scotty.  :)

Darren, I like your analysis of the cost of things. Most people never think in those terms, and most people wonder why they always run out of money before the end of the month.

QuoteA box of beer
I've never heard this term before. It's either a Canadian term, eh?, or I need to get out more often. LOL

gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

Darren Henry

QuoteDarren, I like your analysis of the cost of things. Most people never think in those terms,

Thank dear old Dad for that one. When I turned 16 I was eligible to go hunting big game. This meant having to buy a pair of white overalls and the price really upset me. His Dad happened to visiting and Dad put things into perspective. Price is relative, so he calculated how long each of us had to work to buy a pair of overalls. Grandpa only paid $4 but it took him 2 1/2 hours to earn that. Dad would have had to work 2 1/4 hours and mine were only 2 hours. Five bucks is cheap for a loaf of bread if your getting paid $45/hour to flip burgers. Not so much if you're making $4.50.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

scottymc

Quote from: Darren Henry on July 17, 2016, 07:45:58 am
Just to try to get a sense of relative $$$$, What is  a lire of petrol, a big mac, and a pack of 25 cigarettes worth ? How about a pound of beef, a months rent on a 2 bedroom flat, and most important---A dozen beer LOL?

Here the minimum wage is $10.50 so the guy asking you if you want fries with that has to work about 25 minutes for that pound of hamburger or half an hour for a big mac. Seventy hours will cover his rent in a decent neighbourhood. One hundred hours will get him a nice place or a detached house. A box of beer ,a pack of smokes, and enough gas to go see the gang will use up a half days gross pay.

Our dollar is about the same, petrol $1.03lt, Bic mac $5, 25 pack of ciggies $25, beefshop.coles.com.au/online/national/meat-seafood-deli/fresh-meat/beef?gclid=CjwKEAjw_LG8BRDb1JTxm8uP_UwSJADu_8pWKT1bN1EB_kZC94Z_RIJEDc5crGk76uWYFr2ZXoLQsRoC9QHw_wcB&KEYWORD=_inurl:http://shop.coles.com.au/online/national/meat-seafood-deli/fresh-meat/beef&MATCHTYPE=Search&AD_ID=91605520567&REFFER=, beershop.coles.com.au/online/SearchDisplay?pageView=image&catalogId=10576&beginIndex=0&langId=-1&storeId=10601&searchTerm=beer There you go Darren , all of lifes necessities.

scottymc

Quote from: gene on July 17, 2016, 08:18:21 am
There is a market for old sewing machines that have nothing to do with sewing. Some folks like to have "antiques" in their house. I've read a few articles that talked about old sewing machines are sought after by such folks.

You can see this more with old home sewing machines that have the finished 'table/cabinet' that they sit in, as well as the old Singer types that you are talking about with the regular industrial table.
----------------------
QuoteHonestly , I don't reckon it's worth what he is asking.

It is always worth exactly what someone is willing to pay for it. And not a penny more.

I enjoyed your video, scotty.  :)

Darren, I like your analysis of the cost of things. Most people never think in those terms, and most people wonder why they always run out of money before the end of the month.

QuoteA box of beer
I've never heard this term before. It's either a Canadian term, eh?, or I need to get out more often. LOL

gene

We call it a slab(24) of beer over here :)

Gene that video was an iconic aussie film, rates up there with crocodile dundee:)) , was Eric Banas first film, check out his second film a very realistic portrayal of a real blokehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2Fd_f1epgo I grew up in the area and the era that this film was shot, very realistic. Worth a watch.

Nothin like gettin way off topic :-D

Grebo

July 19, 2016, 12:34:25 am #20 Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 12:34:46 am by Grebo
Hi DH, yes I am still around.
Moved house/shop & had some minor health issues but getting back into the groove now.

I think the Adler was pensioned off from a shoe factory wasn't a walking foot so that's maybe why we didn't get on.
Cleaned it up & made on the deal so added to the learning curve.

Darren Henry

Are you still in the same part of Spain, or did you re-locate somewhere else? My first machine was a 31K20 with a rolling foot. It is not walking foot. Works well for making shoes etc... but not for upholstery. My first upholstery "paying job" on it was the V-berth cushions for a 27' sailboat in a striped cotton, done on the dining room floor.Not fun!!! That money and the next few carved belts went towards my 111W155 smiley.

QuoteWe call it a slab(24) of beer over here

24 cans here would be a flat (same as pop)
24 bottles are a case, or a twenty four, or two four
6 are a poverty pack or a half sack.

Grebo

Yes still in the same area, further inland now but still near to ALicante.
Oh if we are talking FIRST machine, that was an old jones domestic, first paying job on a friends bavaria ( sail boat ) think it was dodgers.
Closely followed by a Reeds sailmaker, which I still have & use for lighter work like sheets & curtains.

Suzi

Mike

July 19, 2016, 06:19:57 pm #23 Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 06:21:02 pm by Mike
I still use my favorit. my first walker a old black singer 111w155  bought used 25 years ago have a juki and a second spare 111w but I love this one its like part of me

I can thread it by feel now with old eyes

scottymc

QuoteWe call it a slab(24) of beer over here

24 cans here would be a flat (same as pop)
24 bottles are a case, or a twenty four, or two four
6 are a poverty pack or a half sack.
[/quote]

The important things in life.