Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 19, 2024, 10:39:47 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Advice for covering cutting table

Started by rnye14, May 27, 2015, 09:42:01 am

Previous topic - Next topic

rnye14

Need to recover the top of my cutting table...anyone have a suggestion on what to use?  Painted it before, but after time it cracks and peels.  What holds up the best, carpet, tile, etc.?  Table is 14' x 5'

Thanks before hand for any suggestions.

otlass

I staple masonite on the top and replace it if it gets bad after a while. It is cheap, smooth for cutting with the foam saw and easy to clean.

bobbin

My tables are made of the particle board that comes with a white "formica" laminated to it (brain cramp, can't recall the correct name).  I also have homosote toppers that I can put on and take off when I want to swap over for drapery work (requires a lot of pressing, and steam will bubble the "formica" finish without protection).  Over that I have custom fitted pads and a canvas topper that snaps into place to create a giant "ironing board".  I made them myself.

I do a variety of work; and Roman, London, and Austrian shades are part of it.  I have to have a surface that allows me to press the goods (so steam, heat, and humidity are part of the deal) and also pin things out to get a precise and "square" shape.  The homosote pcs. protect against steam degradation and allow for easy pinning.  Sure, it's work to "change over", but I build that into the quoted price for the work involved.  My canvas covers have been washed several times and still fit beautifully.  In drapery work, cleanliness is important!

MinUph

Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

bobbin

Uhh, yeah... the stuff!  thanks, Min..

Darren Henry

I don't use knives or heat on my cutting tables (unless I lay something down for that purpose)n , so I just staple some remnant herculite or clear out vinyl on and have at it. When they start to get grungy I recover. 
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

chrisberry12

I use linoleum, just go get piece at home store for $40 and staple to the sides, works great, easy to keep clean, can stick pins in and does not get dusty like the Masonite does, I used to do that too till I was introduced to the linoleum idea by a good friend. When I iron skirts I lay duck down and iron on that

Chris B

otlass

I got confused here, I meant Formica not Masonite.

gene

May 31, 2015, 07:07:06 am #8 Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 07:24:09 am by gene
QuoteI use linoleum,

Reminded me of this old joke:

In the deep South of the good ol' US of A, the very deep South, a woman goes into the pharmacy and tells the pharmacist that she needs some feminine napkins. The pharmacist asks, "How's your flow?" The woman says, "Linoleum."

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

sofadoc

I made mine out of particle board topped with Peel & Stick linoleum floor tiles. This table is 25 years old.

"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

kodydog

Quote from: Darren Henry on May 27, 2015, 04:20:27 pm
I don't use knives or heat on my cutting tables (unless I lay something down for that purpose)n , so I just staple some remnant herculite or clear out vinyl on and have at it. When they start to get grungy I recover. 

I do similar to Darren. I use vinyl fabric face side down. I'm careful not to use spray glue near my cutting table and replace about every 3 years.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

Darren Henry

Back in Kenora I had a designated glue table. It was 3X8 with an 8" backsplash and I laid pieces of cardboard down on it.

I like to use the vinyl face up so I can tell the delivery guy to---" put it on the red table" or "use the blue saw horses".
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Mike

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unbranded-Melamine-White-Panel-Common-3-4-in-x-4-ft-x-8-ft-Actual-750-in-x-49-in-x-97-in-461877/100070209

my cutting table is my sewing table so has to be slippery for the canvas to slide smoothlyoi tryied a different boat=rd and it was to sticky   non slippery