Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 19, 2024, 01:23:25 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Current project

Started by DDandJ, April 01, 2015, 05:21:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

DDandJ

Hey guys.  Haven't posted in a while.  I check in from time to time.  After a long hiatus I have a project and as always I'm coming here for advice.

I'm recovering a pair of chairs which are much older than I thought.  No staples just tacks and brass nail head trim.  Horsehair and cotton.  I've attached a few pics.

The brackets to the springs have broken.  I'm sure I can get them from my usual place but I have to admit I don't know what they're called.  Is there a trick to getting the springs back like they're supposed to be?

Sofadoc, I believe you told me once to remove the old burlap, cotton and horsehair in the seat bottom as one unit.  That's what I've done on this chair.  If I remember correctly you told me to tack down new burlap and then replace my unit.

Lastly, I've never used the brass nail head trim before.  Should I use the faux stuff on the roll or real nails?  Advice needed there too.  LOL.  Hope I haven't gotten in over my head.

Thanks in advance.  I always get great advice from everyone.

Jeremy

sofadoc

The spring clips are called EK clips. Or you can just ask for No-sag spring clips.

The fake nailhead trim on a roll is normally used for low-budget jobs. Using individual nails will produce results that you will be much prouder of.

I don't think that you'll be "over your head" on this job.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Virgs Sew n Sew

Looks like a great project.  Enjoy and be sure and post pictures once you've finished it!

Virginia

DDandJ

I've been dragging my feet on these chairs.  I do that when I take on a project that involves something I haven't done before.

I have a question about the decorative nails.  Because this chair is so old and done with tacks, it appers that originally the nails were functional;  meaning that there were only a few tacks in the areas where the nails were and the nails is what secured the fabric.  Because I'm using staples and not tacks, will I do the same thing or will I use more staples and use the nails as more of a decorative feature?  Will my staples be noticeable?

I hope my question makes sense.  I'm ready to get these chairs out of my shop.  I'm tired of looking at them.  Ha ha.

Thanks,
Jeremy

SteveA

The decorative nails cover the staples - or you can use gimp or double self welt to cover the staples -
SA

MinUph

Actually the proper way is to pin the fabric on with tacks and remove them as you put the nails in. You can use staples and just put them in at an angle to make it easy to remove. Kind of like it was done before.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Darren Henry

I agree with Dennis---hand nailing looks much better; unless you're redoing a 1950's diner chair LOL.

If I am going to cover my staples like Steve mentioned , I like to go down to a 1/4" crown staple. It gives you a  little more play when setting your nails.

There are 3 tools for pulling springs back on that I know of: My fav. is this one from C.S Osborne
http://www.csosborneupholsterytools.com/product_detail.php?p_id=1064. Very little effort, but the length is not always right so I drilled another hole in the metal bar that hooks onto the spring so I can adjust mine. BTW the dimensions they list are not right. Mine is about 14 " long and roughly 1X1 handle.

The old stand by looks like a miniature bale hook. I couldn't find a picture---but visualize a 6" piece of 3/16 steel rod with the end bent into a  180-270 * hook attached to a piece of fat broom handle to make a tee. great for close quarters etc... where the osborne is limited, but no mechanical advantage.

The po' boy fix is a 16" piece of 1" strap. Wrap it around the spring, grab both ends and pull. You can pull with webbing pliers or lasting pliers to get some mechanical advantage. A neat trick with this , if you are using unlined clips is to cut your strap out of herculite and staple it to the frame on your side of the clip, pass it under the very end loop of the spring, and pull the spring into place. This wraps the spring in the herculite to stop any squeaks, and just cut it off.

Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

DDandJ

I bought the C.S. Osborne spring stretcher. Worked great on resetting the springs. I didn't know such a tool existed until I looked on YouTube.

Paul, your advice makes perfect sense. See why you guys are so great?!?

I'll report back with the finished product, hopefully sooner than later.

Jeremy

chrisberry12

I just use spring twine and loop over zigger spring and pull spring wire into clip hammer down and add 14oz. Tacks. If the wood is split, glue and clamp over night and use  zigger spring repair clips. I also tie the springs side to side for more support. Then apply the burlap and so forth

Darren Henry

Quotehammer down and add 14oz. Tacks.

I use drywall screws. One to mount clip and one through both layers to close it.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!